ASrod

Eating bunker

Rate this topic

89 posts in this topic

Dry it out a little to get the oil out and stir fry in ginger,garlic, peppers and other spices. You can eat anything if its prepared properly. Don't be afraid to eat something new!

46 mins ago, striper79 said:

like Andrew Zimmerman  always says if it looks good eat it 

How about that luscious and mouth watering smell of rancid oily nasty fermented fish?

5 mins ago, ASrod said:

How about that luscious and mouth watering smell of rancid oily nasty fermented fish?

not for me i like them fresh and cook 

I recall a time when giant bluefin tuna weren’t regarded as palatable. We may be on the leading edge of the new bunker sushi movement. Could be big. 

Most people on the Westcoast think American Shad is only good for bait, but we have so many of them that people started eating them. Prepare them properly and they great. I've eaten pond raised Barbs in Thailand, even handled pooly they arent bad as long as you cook em properly. I can't imagine a fresh, properly prepped and cooked salt water fish would be half as bad as yall are making it sound.

Herring are herring. Clean em right and it will taste good. Bleed and throw on ice quickly, clean the blood line. Add fresh herbs and maybe some ginger will take care of any smells.

16 hours ago, snookster said:

Ah I think that Squanto taught the Pilgrims to use river herring as fertilizer for plants not menhaden.  At least that's what they taught us in grammar school here in Plymouth in the 1950's.

I read they used stripers