Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 28 - Nov 3

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

This fish report blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. This sharing benefits those who greatly use this RI forum.

The premise is to gather together all reports into one common portal unit, making it for easy access and reporting. 

This is the second year with this approach. Last year had great participation. This year is no different.

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us know. It all helps us educate to better fishing information. 

Fresh, factual information is the best Intel we have today for a better successful fishing trip in the future.   

Keep those reports coming regardless. We'd all like to hear. 

I viewed dozen of gannets searching, looking, searching. Not once did I see a dive bomber. Plenty of weeds, dirty water to report, with copious amounts of rain.

Got into some smalls yesterday. One had a seal sized chunk out of his back. Completely healed and swimming fine. Even after the so called deadly recreational fisherman release. 

*Widely* sctd schoolies out front. Four hours casting for just a handful.

Got back in the whip and drove to a pond. "Trout-sized" ratfest '19.

Quit after a short time, as it was a consecutive cast-and-catch sort of thing, and I dont like beating up on smalls.

About a half dozen schoolies and a half dozen hickories last night. Small SS needle and black teaser combo was the ticket. Bass ranged from 14” to about 28”. Only went at it for about two hours at the beginning of the outgoing. Excuse my horrible hickory photography, I was tired:why:

BFD59547-A780-4A72-BF96-FCFADA28BD28.jpeg

1 hour ago, DZ said:

Skunked again last night in Newport.  Big high tide made things a tad scary with a leftover swell.

encountered that sunday am as well. got a few but wasnt willing to risk getting too close to water line. waves coming from every direction. :eek:

Ran into some decent fish last pm (in perspective of this year) , swells and tide size made things a little tricky.  Fish were all around but better ones were tucked in a small area, seems like i caught the tail end of the bite and wish i got there earlier in the tide.  Wanted everything fished really slow, especially swim shad basically bounced at the bottom.  Several hit it letting it sink on the cast.  Out front spot had about 15 fish most were 26- 31" and several very fat, and a few smaller.  Hit a backwater spot on way home, water was super high, got a few schoolies.  Still lots of bait in the backwater spot.  Overall fun and really nice night for this time of year, hope it keeps up for a few more weeks!!!!

5708D17B-BC2A-4DBA-A753-0C9AA142D931.jpeg

Edited by Kooky

Fished on the Island Current for blackfish yesterday. I got 4 keepers to 6lbs and a 22" sea bass. Sparky got two keeper tog. It was a generally poor bite after the blow and I expect it to improve day by day

I have seen more fish mid to upper bay then any were on the oceanfront. I drove from Narraganset to Charlestown breachway yesterday morning not a single gannet or fish breaking. I went up in the bay and found fish first stop.

7 mins ago, bassing said:

I have seen more fish mid to upper bay then any were on the oceanfront. I drove from Narraganset to Charlestown breachway yesterday morning not a single gannet or fish breaking. I went up in the bay and found fish first stop.

Bait seems to be scarce in SoCo lately. Although I keep dreaming of monsters slurping hickory shads in the dark....a guy can dream no?

An unexpected and unprepared blitz this morning while tog fishing.  Left the plug bag in the truck and only had a pencil with me but managed to hook into a school of sub-legal fish up 32" until my line snapped.  Had to walk away from the blitz :banghd:

21 hours ago, Kooky said:

Ran into some decent fish last pm (in perspective of this year) , swells and tide size made things a little tricky.  Fish were all around but better ones were tucked in a small area, seems like i caught the tail end of the bite and wish i got there earlier in the tide.  Wanted everything fished really slow, especially swim shad basically bounced at the bottom.  Several hit it letting it sink on the cast.  Out front spot had about 15 fish most were 26- 31" and several very fat, and a few smaller.  Hit a backwater spot on way home, water was super high, got a few schoolies.  Still lots of bait in the backwater spot.  Overall fun and really nice night for this time of year, hope it keeps up for a few more weeks!!!!

Dammit Kook, I was all ready to start sleeping at night again and you gotta go and do this...

Still see some shad flipping about in the beach lip which tells me there maybe an opportunity to catch a decent fish crusing around. Gannets are scanning for food but not doing their annual divebomb routine when the herring are present. Daytime I've been on a stick and move routine with limited results. At night have found fish at some of my hairy, hard to get to spots. 

Southerly, up to gale force winds are on their way which will dirty the surf for the weekend.