Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hurricane1091

Striper population discussion from report thread

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

32 mins ago, kyleeng said:

A solution to this all. Artificially create holes/pockets with the beach replenishment every x yards.

Legitimately, I want to see if this will work. I fish at a pond pretty regularly, and there's a lot of fallen trees laying around. I was thinking of just throwing some at a particular spot to see if I could create an ambush spot for the fish. May try it next year.

I’ll have some of whatever your smoking..... it’s gotta be better than what I’ve got.... and my stuff is good.

34 mins ago, bigfish4me said:

it’s a desert

So the other thing that got me thinking that the fish learn, is that my spear fisher friends have no problem seeing fish in great numbers.   Watching dozens of people casting and no even a tap.  They tell me it's certainly not devoid of life.  

5 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Does anyone else have a feeling that maybe, and it's a pretty big maybe, the fish have learned where its safer?  

I've watched fish in salmon river learn what fishing line looks like and actually dodge it.  I've watched fish in ponds learn what to eat and not to eat.  What about the pattern of a new color always producing well when its first released?  Seen it first hand with nuclear chicken gulp.  

Maybe the bass stay offshore to dodge the million people trying to catch them?  

I don't think fish are learning as you say, but something similar...IMO we're culling them out of the micro-environments from which they live.  

7 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

So the other thing that got me thinking that the fish learn, is that my spear fisher friends have no problem seeing fish in great numbers.   Watching dozens of people casting and no even a tap.  They tell me it's certainly not devoid of life.  

That’s great info from another perspective that many people don’t get

6 mins ago, Gully said:

The fish aren’t smarter. The surfcaster is getting worse...  

They can only be fooled so many times with a dead sticked sp.

Just now, ChumSlickJon said:

Anyone who fishes for largemouth or smallmouth knows they wise up to pressure. Especially to similar pressure.

If you fish the same way as everyone else in the same spots you'll catch the same fish, until no one can catch them anymore. 

I'm not sure it is applicable to striped bass but it isn't a totally wacky theory. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

So growing up we always fished in the neighborhood Creek. I remember it was good for years and then it dried up (fishing wise, water was still there lol). We used to joke that the quote was one large mouth. It seemed like the past few years though I'd have way more good days than not. Couldn't tell you really what changed. I don't think I got worse at fishing then better. Generally speaking it's not a huge area and I don't generally fish it much different from trip to trip. That's such a small environment too and I can't explain the down years, so it seems impossible to explain a huge environment like the shore.

Funny enough the person above me just posted as I finished this post. He's right about pressure, it's totally true. It could be related in my case but we were in a private park of the creek that really wasn't pressured by anyone but us, but I guess it's possible still that they wised up since this past summer was fairly down compared to the previous two. One log I fished with great success always for two summers straight didn't produce at all this year. It was MONEY for a Texas rigged senko always but this year never a single take.

Edited by hurricane1091

34 mins ago, Gully said:

The fish aren’t smarter. The surfcaster is getting worse...  

:laugh: There is quite is bit of truth in that. It's about instant gratification now a days, maybe a few johnson measuring contest in between.  During the mullet run, a guy who can barely make a proper cast, strike up a conversation with me about all I am catching is little rats, he had none at that point.  He told me about his epic canal trip, smallest size is 30" plus... I am wasting my time catching rats after rats.  etc. :laugh:

37 mins ago, hobobob said:

:laugh: There is quite is bit of truth in that. It's about instant gratification now a days, maybe a few johnson measuring contest in between.  During the mullet run, a guy who can barely make a proper cast, strike up a conversation with me about all I am catching is little rats, he had none at that point.  He told me about his epic canal trip, smallest size is 30" plus... I am wasting my time catching rats after rats.  etc. :laugh:

There’s something to be said about being a well rounded fisherman vs a catalog cowboy with all the latest and greatest..

1 hour ago, ChumSlickJon said:

I thought it was all about D something plugs that are $300..?  I’ve been off the site for a while. I’m not caught up on the latest fad...  

31 mins ago, Gully said:

I thought it was all about D something plugs that are $300..?

I thought those weren't for fishing.  :headscratch:

Fish need to be protected when going to spawn. I’ve seen more fish full of eggs Caught  this spring and last spring. Regardless to catch and release or catch and keep. They should be un pressured during the months of February March April. 

17 hours ago, hobobob said:

Anybody else feel the missing blue fish might be a BIG reason stripe bass is not coming to the surf?   Blitz where water ran red=bluefish, mullet run=bluefish,  Anybody catch any bluefish after the last blow, big or small?

The biggest blues I've seen this fall have been like MAYBE. 5 lbs... looks like I'm may we get them for a two weeks and they're gone.. two falls ago I remember some gators out front on peanuts. 

Another fish the party boats slaughter all summer long that people leave with 10 bags of filets they'll never eat.