Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hurricane1091

Striper population discussion from report thread

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

(*I moved these posts into a new thread - it’s a good discussion to have, just not in the report thread - TimS :) )

Seems like boat guys always catch. Makes me think that the population might be fine but everything else that contributes to them not coming into the beach is the issue

Posted (edited) · Report post

hurricane1091...Everything else boils down to burying the structure that hold bait and attracts fish.......Corrupt NJ Beach Replenishment....omo.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

41 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

Seems like boat guys always catch. Makes me think that the population might be fine but everything else that contributes to them not coming into the beach is the issue

The population definitely is not fine. Just look at the data.. 

1 hour ago, ChewyBrigantine said:

Ask anyone that fishes south of Barnegat, boat or not.

You could troll a 2 rod spread and put a 4 man limit on the boat before you ever made one full pass down and coverd all 3 humps on the 5 fathom bank .... there’s a lot of bass out there.... a lot of enforcement too. 

7 hours ago, ChewyBrigantine said:

Maybe not fine but everyone with a boat goes out and catches their limit. Thiey ain't particularly hard to come by from what I gather talking to folks and reading reports.

I don't want a thread split but here's some data.

Things aren't great but I was bored one day and looked at October/Nov reports dating back ten years and honestly, things seem basically average at best/or the same, assuming what people report is true. All I was driving home was that it's a fish worth fishing for, especially if one is boat bound.

Anyways, what's really interesting about that article is that half the c&r fish die. That's an incredibly high amount. Wasteful too. I'd like to know more about that number and if it's smalls or big boys and understand what's happening.

Edited by TimS
Please don’t post commercial links here - we don’t allow it

3 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

Maybe not fine but everyone with a boat goes out and catches their limit. Thiey ain't particularly hard to come by from what I gather talking to folks and reading reports.

Things aren't great but I was bored one day and looked at October/Nov reports dating back ten years and honestly, things seem basically average at best/or the same, assuming what people report is true. All I was driving home was that it's a fish worth fishing for, especially if one is boat bound.

Anyways, what's really interesting about that article is that half the c&r fish die. That's an incredibly high amount. Wasteful too. I'd like to know more about that number and if it's smalls or big boys and understand what's happening.

No matter how you look at it surf fishing for bass is down . Many factors can play a hand at this such as migration pattern change,global warming ,beach replenishment  and the   keeping of too many fish especially breeders..The only one we have control over is the keeping of fish . 

Concering the reports, I think you'll find that the more someone learns in this sport, the less they'll report.  Generally its because they'll realize how damaging giving out too much info can be.  Lot of eyes on this forum looking for free info, sometimes guys really spill the beans and that bite gets torched.  So alot of the reports are going to be from newer guys trying to make their way up the learning curve.  The best fishermen I know report nothing.

Secondly, that stat isnt saying 50% of released fish die, its saying that 50% of overall mortality (dead striped bass) are from released recreational catch.  I think the real estimate is close to 1 in 10 released fish dying.  What that stat really says is there are a TON of recreational fishermen on the coast doing much more damage than what was assumed. 

I know half the fish I catch don't die when I release them. People need to be educated on a proper release. Not throw fish like a jerk*ffs. I guess the bottom line is respect for the fish, I think surf anglers have a lot more respect due to the challenge of catching bass from the sand on a regular basis. 

Pulling up on a bunker pod with a fish finder and dropping plugs right on them takes basically zero skill.. IMO

3 hours ago, PhilCVG said:

Ask anyone that fishes south of Barnegat, boat or not.

South jersey hasn't changed in 15 years. The beach out front sucks, bridges and bay hold shorts 6 months a year, every jetty is essentially gone, a few weeks a year you get a shot at really large fish..  but they keep pumping sand and the chances get less and less...

2 mins ago, SIC34 said:

South jersey hasn't changed in 15 years. The beach out front sucks, bridges and bay hold shorts 6 months a year, every jetty is essentially gone, a few weeks a year you get a shot at really large fish..  but they keep pumping sand and the chances get less and less...

Huh? The Del bay and the river have totally collapsed. 

Edited by PhilCVG

5 mins ago, PhilCVG said:

Huh? The Del bay and the river have totally 

Sorry, should of been more precise.  I meant from Atlantic  Cty to Cape May point .ludlum bay, etc. I usually consider Del Bay and River there own entity. My point was the the fishing for stripers has sucked for a long time, especially out front

Gentlemen,

I approved these posts because OTW is merely summarizing Marine Fisheries data on striped bass stocks. This is important, so despite the status of OTW as a commercial enterprise, I'm letting these appear here. TimS is absolutely within his rights as site owner to remove them.

Please bear in mind that the house software will automatically block any web link. If your material has an official source, a dot gov or dot edu, that MAY get through. Commercial links, usually not. 

3 hours ago, SIC34 said:

New to this area, not surf fishing. Seems a lot hype from tackle shops and no substance. Can’t blame them for wanting the business but this IBSP is way, way over rated.