weekendwarrior

Will New Regs Be Enough?

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

I believe it's 1 @ 36" in the Chesapeake, Va.  .....harder for the Charter Capts. to make a living but we need to save this fishery....now.

Hurricane, It's hard to compare the redfish slot with striped bass.  One big difference is that the striped bass migrate north and then back south, and each state has different rules and regulations.  The Florida redfish move inshore and then offshore with no commercial fishing.  So you can see it's way easier to manage the redfish population and adjust the regulations as need be.

When is started bass fishing in NJ it was 1 @36.  That's a pretty decent fish. In those days not many people targeted them and they seem to have rebounded nicely for a while. But then fishing pressure got real bad probably due to the internet.  I don't know that 1 @35 or even 36 will make much of a difference this time around.  The people targeting them are relentless.  This is the new normal.

It seems that since Sandy, the majority of bass I've touched are shorter than 28" or longer than about 32"/33".  Based on this, I think "28-32" would be a good slot.  Or even better, shut it down.