weekendwarrior

Will New Regs Be Enough?

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Just curious.......in three days the ASMFC will vote to cut the striped bass harvest pretty dramatically.  Seems 1@35” might be the way they go.  Do you guys think that will be enough?  Or is this just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic?  

Judging by all the pics of the 35"+ fish dead I saw this week from Central/North Jersey fleet I'd lean towards not enough imo, but I'm no expert and don't pretend to be.

1 @ 24”+. I rather not even fish for large fish but have a nice one occasionally for a sandwich..  

18 hours ago, Scallywag said:

I'm all for a slot limit. 1 fish 26-32"

I'm with you on that, but I was gonna say 24-34 or something like that. Either way I think a slot limit is the way to go. I know it's been said before but I'll say it again, look what a slot limit did for the redfish population. It works. Also, I think having a slot might cut down on the charter and party boats going out to find large fish.

Being witness to what happened for a week where massive bass were taken from the surf, i can't see how 1@35" is going to save this.   People say protect the younger fish, hello! There are poachers everywhere out there that take bass all the time.

They need to get their head out of their ass and put a moratorium b/c right now the titanic is in full swing

No.

And all the one at 35 inches is going to do is eliminate the possibility of 95% of people fishing from land a chance at a keeper. While the boats will continue to slaughter just about every fish they can. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, chitala383 said:

I'm with you on that, but I was gonna say 24-34 or something like that. Either way I think a slot limit is the way to go. I know it's been said before but I'll say it again, look what a slot limit did for the redfish population. It works. Also, I think having a slot might cut down on the charter and party boats going out to find large fish.

My sizes were hypothetical. I'm sure someone with science could give a better idea. 

1 hour ago, Goldy said:

Being witness to what happened for a week where massive bass were taken from the surf, i can't see how 1@35" is going to save this.   People say protect the younger fish, hello! There are poachers everywhere out there that take bass all the time.

They need to get their head out of their ass and put a moratorium b/c right now the titanic is in full swing

Stop. A moratorium is not necessary. A recent study showed how striped bass were seen out in the canyons with pelagic species. 

Fish move. Depending on different pressures, they maybe moving to areas we didn't previously believe them to be. I'm not saying that numbers aren't down but a moratorium is extreme. Yes, there are poachers but it's not as many as you think. It's our responsibility to report poachers. Officers can't be everywhere. If you're seeing poachers, report them. 

A moratorium would have a huge impact on so many other things too. Harvesting from any species is necessary for the ecosystem. Not too mention how fishing for this species is vital to local economies, up and down the coast. 

Edited by Scallywag

1 hour ago, PhilCVG said:

No.

And all the one at 35 inches is going to do is eliminate the possibility of 95% of people fishing from land a chance at a keeper. While the boats will continue to slaughter just about every fish they can. 

I wouldn’t even bother.. I only striper fish for sandwiches. Theres not much draw besides an easy meal. I don’t want 20, 30, or 40 lb fish. I want the barely keeper sized. In today’s world I miss the old slot size dearly..      

All good points.  I don’t have a particular preference( I don’t keep bass) between a slot or a larger fish.  I do fear that fishery managers might not reduce the harvest enough due to political pressures, though.  

no... not enough. 

And guess how many people who catch a 30" fish will justify taking it by saying 

"ehhhh it was legal for years." 

Many people haven't gotten a 35" fish in their life, and they will just take what they catch. 

there is no enforcement going on anywhere. 

14 hours ago, Gully said:

I wouldn’t even bother.. I only striper fish for sandwiches. Theres not much draw besides an easy meal. I don’t want 20, 30, or 40 lb fish. I want the barely keeper sized. In today’s world I miss the old slot size dearly..      

I agree on the size. About the only fish my wife will eat is fresh striped bass that she knows I caught. Doesn't make any sense, but if you knew her that wouldn't be a surprise. So I'd keep one each spring and fall and have two or three dinners. None of the fish I've kept the last four years or so have been bigger than 31 or 32 inches. 

With a fish of 35"+ that gives the 28"-35" fish multiply years to breed. A 28" fish may not have even had the chance to spawn yet. 

If MD doesnt clean up their summer striper slaughter and Nj clean up their spring striper slaughter I dont think anything will have much of an impact. MD and NJ are the biggest parties responsible for their demise IMO. 

17 mins ago, kurazy kracka said:

With a fish of 35"+ that gives the 28"-35" fish multiply years to breed. A 28" fish may not have even had the chance to spawn yet. 

If MD doesnt clean up their summer striper slaughter and Nj clean up their spring striper slaughter I dont think anything will have much of an impact. MD and NJ are the biggest parties responsible for their demise IMO. 

I believe I am aware of MD's low size limit, but what are we doing wrong in the spring? Stripers are only open in March in the river but no one catches keepers in March anyway, so rarely are any harvested from a freshwater perspective during the spawn