coastalfreak

Must Read Surf Books

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I'm going to be buying "Fishing The Bucktail" by the man himself John Skinner. It's obvious that the book has a well deserved spot in the must read list. 

What other books should I read? 

Side Note: Looking for books that are widely applicable to many areas, not just the NE since I'm a southerner. :) 

“20 years on the Cape: My time as a surf caster,” by Frank Daignault.

Not a how to book that will teach you fishing technique but it will provide the reader with a glimpse into how good fishing Cape Cod beaches used to be. No responsible angler, today, could condone the kind of fishing Daignault portrays in the book but it’s a good read and it allows anglers to glimpse at a time when the fish of their dreams stacked up in the surf. 

Another all time favorite of mine is “Striper- a story of  fish and man,” by John N. Cole. Many striper fisherman  consider it a classic. 

Edited by valentine

I like all of William (Doc) Muller's books.  concise and to the point.  Just re-read (for the third time) his "Secrets of Surf Fishing at Night".  It's an older book, but his content is still valid today.  Another fave by Doc is "Surfcaster : The Ultimate Surf Fishing Guide".

Lou Tabory's "Inshore Fly Fishing" is a great resource, whether you fly fish or not, because it covers topics like reading the water, baits to imitate, etc.  

If you ever fish needles or eels, get Dennis Zambrotta's "Surfcasting Around the Block".  (No, it isn't just about Block Island!)

All four of these timeless books are in my library, and I refer to them often.

HTH

Season on the edge- john skinner 

Surfcasting around the block - DZ

Eastern tides and 20 years on the cape- Frank Daignault

Those are some of my favorite surf fishing books

If your into flyfishing for trout

I highly recommend any of Harry Middleton's books. 

All of these books tell a story of a time/place not so much how-to. Except John's first book which is account of one of his years fishing but, you can pull alot of tactics out of it.

50 mins ago, PatFin401 said:

ON THE RUN  by David Dibenedetto 

I'm still reading this one, great so far. He covers the entire migration. 

This and season on the edge are my favorite. The purely "tips and tricks" books get boring to me, and there are plenty of other sources for that. On the Run and Season on the Edge are adventure books that get me through the long winters.

32 mins ago, C.Robin said:

This and season on the edge are my favorite. The purely "tips and tricks" books get boring to me, and there are plenty of other sources for that. On the Run and Season on the Edge are adventure books that get me through the long winters.

Exactly, I got sick of the how too books. I like hearing of stories and experiences. Surfcasting the block is another good one.

I also liked Zeno's book Hooked.

I've been meaning to post a similar, more specific question:

What's the well-written book that was posted about here several months ago, by a lady i believe, and not just about fishing but did contain fishing?

49 mins ago, cityevader said:

What's the well-written book that was posted about here several months ago, by a lady i believe, and not just about fishing but did contain fishing?

Casting Into the Light by Janet Messineo?

1 hour ago, cityevader said:

Janet Messinio's "Casting into the Light"??