adams54

Spotting sandeels tips and tricks

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

On 10/27/2019 at 6:21 PM, MarkG said:

thought that was hickory shad or herring...but I could be wrong

Gannetts will dive on shad, larger sand eels,bunker, peanut bunker, herring and just about anything else that will fit in their throat. We have seen them diving when only any one of those baits is present.

On 10/27/2019 at 9:16 PM, adams54 said:

All true..I've also seen them diving on bunker with nothing under them. They can dive pretty deep amazing creatures.

Once they hit the water they can swim for a bunch of strokes to get deeper.

On 10/28/2019 at 11:09 AM, ridenfish said:

One night I walked out to the hook and there were tiny, and I mean 1" long, sand eels washed up all over the beach.  If you didn't have a small teaser on you weren't catching Bass.

And the Gannets are on bunker, not all the bunker out there are over 12" . And I have yet to see a 4 lb bunker LOL, that would be a record.

Now I am curious what the record IS for a bunker.

Recently at low tide gulls seemed to be working a bar that was barely covered with water, I'm talking an inch or less with a little wash over.  Was that a sign sand eels were present?  I ask because after this happened I saw a photo which depicted an identical scene to what I witnessed & claimed it showed gulls working sandeels at low tide.

12 mins ago, sbcbmx112 said:

Recently at low tide gulls seemed to be working a bar that was barely covered with water, I'm talking an inch or less with a little wash over.  Was that a sign sand eels were present?  I ask because after this happened I saw a photo which depicted an identical scene to what I witnessed & claimed it showed gulls working sandeels at low tide.

That could be anything really although I dont think I ever recall seeing sandeels hanging in 1" of water, my first guess would be rainbait. Could also be spearing,  small mullet, very small peanuts, crabs/sandcrabs etc.

Edited by bbfish

6 hours ago, bbfish said:

That could be anything really although I dont think I ever recall seeing sandeels hanging in 1" of water, my first guess would be rainbait. Could also be spearing,  small mullet, very small peanuts, crabs/sandcrabs etc.

It was almost as if they were digging in the sand