buz23

MV report

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Back from my annual after-derby week in the Vineyard.  I stay in Menemsha and fish the nearby beaches.

This year was no where as good as last year.  There were two big storms in the week or so before I arrived, and the ocean side beaches were nearly unfishable.  There were reportedly still some funnies being caught off the Menemsha jetties but they weren't getting much pressure if that was true and I didn't see anything going on. 

Fishing was discouraging.  I finished up the week with a dozen small bluefish (mostly tailors, one around 4#) and 14 or 15 small bass to about 2'.  Most of these were caught during the last half of my stay. There were small sand eels around, Menemsha Harbor was loaded with them and my lure scared them numerous times off the beach.  The bluefish were pretty easy to catch around sunset (but not around sunrise).  Early in the week it was windy, made fishing tough.  And the wind was from the north, but the South facing beaches (and Gay Head) had big surf, so conditions were challenging. 

I followed the Derby results and saw few fish weighed in the last week.  Numbers of bass weighed were about half of the last few years, but average weight was up slightly, probably due to the increase in minimum size.

Last year I caught tons of little guys after the derby (over 40 one outing) but many of those were on the ocean side, which had unusually gentle surf. This year I only caught two fish (on my last morning when the surf had finally calmed down) at Squibnocket, and they were just dinks.  Maybe I need to bone up on fishing big surf for future trips.

I got there on the last day of the derby, and there were maybe a dozen guys out on the jetties.  That's probably about as many fishermen as I encountered during my week once the derby was over.

I'll do it again.  The island is so different this time of year, compared to around July 4 when I also try.  I'm worried about the state of the fishery, however.  This is my first year when I didn't catch a single legal striper, and I didn't catch nearly as many little guys as last year (summer and fall).  I'm getting old and may not see the rebound in the population (if it comes)   On a good note, these are the first bluefish I've encountered in a couple of years, however.

I drive a green Tacoma with a brand new frame (courtesy of Toyota, who replaced the one that was rotting under my truck) and was astounded at how many tacoma's there are on the island.  I felt right at home.

I fished around the middle two weeks.  Fished every corner of the island.  Not embarassed to admit it was my worst Derby yet.  Some albies hooked but not landed, no bluefish, no bass.  I wasn't fishing blind, I had plenty of insider info.....be back next year.

Two weeks ... (1) Albie on 1st day followed by a bout with Kidney stones ... still a great place to be. Tough fishing ...

I think it’s time for some new Derby regulations ... I vote for (4) fish of each species/ angler for the entire Derbywith daily prizes for each fish with increased size limits to weigh in.

Fished all 5 weeks, as usual.   It was a bad year.  When the wind blew from Any direction from the N it was good for bones and albies. Unfortunately it blew the opposite most days.   Sucked 

5 hours ago, MVDCGTO said:

Fished all 5 weeks, as usual.   It was a bad year.  When the wind blew from Any direction from the N it was good for bones and albies. Unfortunately it blew the opposite most days.   Sucked 

Can you clarify??  Any direction but from the north??  Or do you mean anywhere from NW to NE?

1 hour ago, buz23 said:

Can you clarify??  Any direction but from the north??  Or do you mean anywhere from NW to NE?

If the wind was blowing from the NW to the NE the fishing was good.  BUT it wouldn’t stay consistent.  The first week of the derby was pretty good fishing.  I was averaging 10+ albies a morning from shore.  Then Dorian hit and the winds shifted to the SW for a week and blew all the bait off the north shore and fishing turned to ****.  The third week we had a solid tide on Chappy for funny fish and of the 4 days with the best tides it blew N or NE for the first and third and then S or SW for the other 2.   Well the days it blew from the N there were a bunch of fish around.  The days in between fish were very hard to come by.   If you look at Bonito and Albie Saturday the winds blew from the S both days and only 1 shore fish was weighed in total, in those categories, for both days 

The weather stations and fishing reports mention wind as NE wind or SE wind.  It's alway where the wind is coming from not the direction it's blowing. So which is this? Not being an dick just want to know?

I new a south west blow was good for cape south facing beaches so i guess it makes sense a north east blow would be good for MV. North side. Just thought a north wind was a cold wind and would shut off a funny fish bite.cause tbey like warmer water.