Boston83

Inshore boating rod for live macks

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

On 10/26/2019 at 8:23 PM, Boston83 said:

Can anyone give me any advice for a rod using live Mack’s for stripers from a boat under 100$? I’m thinking to match it with a penn battle 2 4000

thanks

mike

we have a bunch of gossa 5 and 6000s on trevala tvs66mh.  a great rod for the money if you wanna stretch to $129 (?)

1 hour ago, nicknotsebastian said:

we have a bunch of gossa 5 and 6000s on trevala tvs66mh.  a great rod for the money if you wanna stretch to $129 (?)

You'll want a conventional reel. Cheap ugly stick will do if your squeezing nickels.

25 mins ago, MakoMike said:

You'll want a conventional reel. Cheap ugly stick will do if your squeezing nickels.

why? (conventional reel).  its a preference if you ask me.  i personally much prefer spinning for live lining macs or pogies for bass.  esp w/ circle hooks - just flip the bail or tighten the drag when it runs off...

Edited by nicknotsebastian

13 mins ago, nicknotsebastian said:

why? (conventional reel).  its a preference if you ask me.  i personally much prefer spinning for live lining macs or pogies for bass.  esp w/ circle hooks - just flip the bail or tighten the drag when it runs off...

Three words, free spool lever.

ugly stik tiger lite is tough to beat for the money.  Also have a Lamiglas tri-flex that I love for live lining, chunking, drifting eels etc. but in all honesty for triple the cost it's no different than the tiger lite. 

If you are boat fishing, I would bump it up to a 5000 sized spinner and use 20lb mono. Lot less pulled hooks and stealthier. Some mackerel are pretty heavy, you are going to want some backbone if you want to cast them. Get something that isn't super stiff, I prefer composite. You don't want something really soft though. I like a 7' boat rod with a soft tip but lots of backbone. I really like the St. Croix Triumph boat rods but not sure they still make them.

Like Harp said,  The Ugly Stick Tiger Lite.  I have 3 of them.  I bought them as general purpose rods and for friends to use so they wouldn't break any of my more expensive rods.  They are tough and can take a beating, and can handle 36" blues.

I have used most the rod mention here.  The trophy ,tiger, trevalas .. one not mentioned is the star rod  areial. They have a kingfish series made for this . This is my favorite  all time live bait rod and works great for inshore trolling to.   The model number is ex kf 7 . 7ft 15-30 lb  I have a set of 5 on speed master iv . Think I paid 69 each rod .  The old tigers are decent but the new models sux.