jimbass

What is a better mono for freshwater : Berkley Trilene or Stren

34 posts in this topic

I am just looking for some opinions. I usually use Berkley Trilene xl on my spinning reels but it seems to develop "line memory" soon after I spool it. My local bait an tackle suggested that I should switch to Stren. Is one brand better than the other? I only fish from shore with spinning tackle. Thanks.

I prefer the Ande too, but have used many other lines. XL was OK, but as far as Berkley lines, I like the Big Game which for now I only have on some surf spinning reels and only in 20 lb. I had used one of the Trilene Solar versions for a few years that had a "glow" color to it, and I liked it, but am not sure it's even still being made.  

I used Stren for several years, the gold yellow, & blue, and IMO, it has too much stretch. More than Big Game in the same breaking strength.

Any of these lines, mono/copoly types are a compromise. They formulate them to get various properties, but frankly, how "perfect" can they be? I've yet to find perfection in any of them, that gives the best balance of stretch, strength and low memory and cost. 

Another line that I still use, is Silver Thread, but primarily on lighter reels that I use for panfish, primarily 6 lb test. It & Ande have been the "best" balance for me.

I now use Yozuri Hybrid as my "non-braid" line for freshwater & salt and mostly on baitcasters. I have tried the "soft" version, and it's OK, but really for a "mono" type of line on spinning reels I like the Ande better as it still has less memory IMO. 

I know several folks who use BPS Excel lines for freshwater fishing and say it's the best bang for the buck, but it's one I have not tried. 

Any of these types of line will develop a certain amount of memory. I take them out in my back yard, stretch them out & spool them back on the reel about twice a season. That helps with both the memory issue & line twist. It requires that I have to keep tension on the line, so I do that at the reel, and the line end is free, otherwise any twist remains ( on spinning gear). Others will say do it out on the water, and that's fine if you have a boat. I've been shore bound the last couple of years. 

Stren and Trilene brands are made by the same company, there is not to much different between the two brands main mono lines. Stren is basically a cross between XL and XT.

Regarding your memory issues, mono is always going to have a degree of memory. Trilene XL is one of the lower memory options.

Was the line old, was it exposed to heat?

Edited by Beastly Backlash

I prefer the P'line products, but have had good results with Ande over the years also, it used to be everywhere in bigger spools and cheaper than Stren, or Berkeley, yet held up just as good.

Edited by spoonplugger1

Just remember when the temps drop mono type lines develop memory. In the summer it is rarely a problem unless you are using too thick line for the reel. Before you fish simply tie off to a tree and "stretch" the line out. It will get the coils out. Once the line starts soaking up the water the line will straighten out even more. If trilene XL works for you no need to change. All mono lines will do this in the cold.

If your running a full mono spool I would just skip that and go with p line flouroclear if ur avoiding braid. It’s fluorocarbon Coated copolymer. zero memory And very strong stuff beats any mono I’ve ever tried by far but has a similar feel. And it’s very inexpensive. For braid to leader maxima green mono is some serious stuff. Or trilene big game. If not that I use Flouro leaders. Sunline assassin or sniper is my go to for reaction baits. All my reels are braid now. Just tie a leader on.  Much nicer can lasts years and saves a bunch of money over time not having to respool as often. 

Berkley Trilene This line has excellent smoothness, and casting distance isn’t a problem. Its smoothness helps in resisting twists better.It is strong and designed to be tougher for reliability, control, and versatility needed to catch large fish. It is sturdy, thin and has enough stretch to absorb shock when catching an aggressive and strong fish

Any of the name brand monos are pretty much equal. All of this them have memory but do lose it after a few hundred casts and absorbing water. I'm with the guys here that prefer braid. You will make much longer casts, feel your bait and bites better, set the hook better and don't need to spool new line every year. I don't necessarily use a leader all the time with braid but I have. Use a black Sharpie on the first few feet of braid, it works. Tying a leader just gives another opportunity for knot failure and lost fish. If you insist on a leader learn a good easy knot to tie, practice it until you can do it blindfolded.

On 11/24/2019 at 7:54 PM, coastalfreak said:

I've had some issues with Trilene XL recently. I've had a lot of abrasions on the line right off the shelf. 

Me too. especially while tying knots with the 4lb. when cinching down the knot, the line will break with very little force. I’ve been using this line for the last 20years and never had an issue. I’m thinking of trying 4lb fireline for my ultralight fishing. 

9 hours ago, Justinj said:

Me too. especially while tying knots with the 4lb. when cinching down the knot, the line will break with very little force. I’ve been using this line for the last 20years and never had an issue. I’m thinking of trying 4lb fireline for my ultralight fishing. 

Unfortunately I’ve had the same thing happen to me with Stren. I guess it’s a pure fishing thing. I think I’m gonna give suffix a try.