MaxKatt

Bernie's B&T Brooklyn

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Someone else gave a "shout out" to a favorite tackle shop recently, so I'll hit up one of mine.

Bernie's! 

Haven't been there in a while.  Dropped into the neighborhood last week to pick up a QP of weed.   Found them super better stocked than I even remembered from my last visit.  Hit them if you're in the Crooklyn / Coney Island hood.  

Bernie.png

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

They are one of the best run shops in the business.

Tons more SS than I remembert.

I also picked up somer neat little "in line" chum pots I'd never seen.  I believe they said carp guys used them.  Certainly they had a nice collection of carp specfic solutions.  

In any case, I bought both a metal one and a plastic one with some creative applications in mind.  Get the bait down with some chum sitting right next to it.

They had to climb up a ladder for it, but I also got some surgical tubing I use for all kinds of things.  They stock 3 sizes in 7 colors.  Boom!

( PS- I was joking about the weed.  I was actually in the area for my niece's Confirmation out in Ozone Park.  :)  )

Edited by MaxKatt

I remember Bernie, the original owner, when I was a kid. The original shop was across the street back in the early to mid 70's. A nice place always!  

Is Stella Maris still there too?:howdy:

8 hours ago, jimmy z said:

I remember Bernie, the original owner, when I was a kid. The original shop was across the street back in the early to mid 70's. A nice place always!  

Is Stella Maris still there too?:howdy:

Jimmy you new yawk native? :howdy:  Stella Maris is still in good shape. For fresh baits, nobody is better. I like it better than Bernie.  Their shop stay open half hour more, just enough time for me to grab bait after work.

10 hours ago, hobobob said:

Jimmy you new yawk native? :howdy:  Stella Maris is still in good shape. For fresh baits, nobody is better. I like it better than Bernie.  Their shop stay open half hour more, just enough time for me to grab bait after work.

I grew up in Manhattan, my dad had a charter boat in Sheephead Bay, berthed by the Flamingo party boat.  When Bernies was across from where it is now it was a much smaller place.:howdy:

20 hours ago, MaxKatt said:

Tons more SS than I remembert.

I also picked up somer neat little "in line" chum pots I'd never seen.  I believe they said carp guys used them.  Certainly they had a nice collection of carp specfic solutions.  

In any case, I bought both a metal one and a plastic one with some creative applications in mind.  Get the bait down with some chum sitting right next to it.

They had to climb up a ladder for it, but I also got some surgical tubing I use for all kinds of things.  They stock 3 sizes in 7 colors.  Boom!

( PS- I was joking about the weed.  I was actually in the area for my niece's Confirmation out in Ozone Park.  :)  )

I was gonna say how’s Bernies Buds? Any end of the season sale?

8 hours ago, hobobob said:

I was surprised he was a city guy too!

I'll have to check Stella.  Didn't even know about them.

On 10/27/2019 at 4:29 AM, MaxKatt said:

I was surprised he was a city guy too!

I'll have to check Stella.  Didn't even know about them.

If ya heard me speak ya wouldn't be surprised. :howdy:

5 hours ago, jimmy z said:

If ya heard me speak ya wouldn't be surprised. :howdy:

Lol.  

I lived on the Upper West Side through the 90's.  Used to take the subway out to fish bait at Coney Island.  Did okay.  For the life of me, I can't remember where I got ther bait.  Only shop I knew in NYC was (and still is, although they've moved from Chelsea Hotel locale) Capitol Fishing Tackle.  I don't think I got the bait there though.

Somewhere I have pictures bringing fish back while seated in subway car, and cleaning one in the gutter/curb on 7th Ave. just below Times Square.  I had a Chinese American girlfriend there.  She cooked us Everything, and she ate everything...cheeks, eyes, everything.  I remember trying, and failing, to steak a large fish once.  Took it into our local Chinese restaurant for help and they send me back with awesome perfect steaks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I lived in the E. Village for many years. then Grand St. When I fished the Easty River I got bait from JB Pet shop on E. Houston. 

The Chinese know how to do fish, the Japanese as well. 

I miss the city the way it was, way back when. I couldn't live there today. I miss the fishing too and traipsing the fish on the subway as well.:howdy:

Edited by jimmy z