Bamboots

Fall fishing north jersey

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Anyone fish the Hackensack ? Usually fish down south but trying to find something local since difficult to travel with work. Live in area but have never fished area.  

I live right off the hackensack. I've only fished it twice but never had any luck. If you're by the hackensack, you're probably by the passaic. I'd make the small trip to the passaic over the heackensack if you had a few extra minutes.The fishing is much better.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Don't take it personal but I have always been told the passaic river is heavily contaminated. Ocassionaly when I am up that way for work I always see alot of garbage and debris floating around. Not to mention that the Passaic River is also is bordered by several low income filthy cities/towns as to where people are use to throwing there garbage on the ground or out there car windows, when It rains, drains Into sewers,then into the river. Be surprised if the fish that were caught would have 3 eyes and discolored bodies... zombie fish, just my opinion....:eek:

Edited by Still_pluggin91911
Typo

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 11/16/2019 at 8:17 PM, Still_pluggin91911 said:

Don't take it personal but I have always been told the passaic river is heavily contaminated. Ocassionaly when I am up that way for work I always see alot of garbage and debris floating around. Not to mention that the Passaic River is also is bordered by several low income filthy cities/towns as to where people are use to throwing there garbage on the ground or out there car windows, when It rains, drains Into sewers,then into the river. Be surprised if the fish that were caught would have 3 eyes and discolored bodies... zombie fish, just my opinion....:eek:

The lower Passaic River is indeed heavily contaminated (see attached Record of Decision), particularly with dioxins, especially 2,3,7,8 TCDD, which is one of the most toxic compounds known. These were produced during the manufacture of Agent Orange by Diamond Alkali and were directly discharged into the river where they accumulated. Massive cleanup will be underway soon, per the ROD.

Superfund_ROD.pdf

Edited by saxatilis7

It’s a shame how contaminated the waters have become. Main reason never even bothered fishing area. Water so dirty, can’t really enjoy it idk maybe just me. I’m sure at one point many years ago, before all the pollution it was a beautiful natural area with a great fishery. It’s sad when you think about it.