Kayaken410

Lure builder wannabe needing advice

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

First off, hello to all on the site reading my first post.  I'm an avid woodworker and wanting to get into lure building.  I have a full woodshop and have built all sorts of furniture.  I'm definitely interested in starting to build plugs but wanted to get some recommendations on what hardware to buy (weights, through wire, grommets, split rings, and hooks).  I don't have the faintest clue and want to avoid my common mistake of buying twice to thrice before learning what the right stuff is to use.  Couple of questions to start:

For plugs:

- What size wire do I need for forming the nose loop where the sting ties on to all the way through to the back end where the hooks attach via split rings?

- What size(s) split rings are most common for striper and bluefish plugs?

- Should I stick with single hooks or triple hooks and what sizes should I buy?

- Any other hand tools that are a must besides split ring pliers?

I thank you and so does my wallet in advance.  :)

Ken

15 hours ago, Kayaken410 said:

First off, hello to all on the site reading my first post.  I'm an avid woodworker and wanting to get into lure building.  I have a full woodshop and have built all sorts of furniture.  I'm definitely interested in starting to build plugs but wanted to get some recommendations on what hardware to buy (weights, through wire, grommets, split rings, and hooks).  I don't have the faintest clue and want to avoid my common mistake of buying twice to thrice before learning what the right stuff is to use.  Couple of questions to start:

For plugs:

- What size wire do I need for forming the nose loop where the sting ties on to all the way through to the back end where the hooks attach via split rings?

- What size(s) split rings are most common for striper and bluefish plugs?

- Should I stick with single hooks or triple hooks and what sizes should I buy?

- Any other hand tools that are a must besides split ring pliers?

I thank you and so does my wallet in advance.  :)

Ken

I like .062 safety wire. Easier to work with than thinner stuff. People have a lot of different thoughts on hooks/split rings. Some don't use split rings at all. I'd play around with that and see what you like. 

If you have a full woodshop you should be in pretty good shape. One thing you may not have that I would recommend/find super useful are 1 2 3 blocks. If you get to the point of building jigs for alignment there's tons of info in the search feature.

Edited by Hokepokey

I like the idea of no split rings.  Less parts to buy and less parts to fail.  For through drilling, do you prefer 6" or 12" drill bits?  I'm going to look into doing that on my mini-lathe on the tail stock.  I was reading that it was useful to have 5/32" diameter 12" long aircraft drill bit so you could drill straight through the piece rather than come at it from both front and back.  It makes sense to do it that way for alignment.  Is 5/32" (0.156") too wide of a hole considering the wire would be around 0.062"?

As for the 1-2-3 blocks, I've seen them used for alignment, but for lure building, what are some of the uses?

I'm not an experienced woodworker at all so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt but with my setup I use 6" far more often (I have 18 inches on my lathe so w/ a 12" a couldn't drill a plug over 6"). The only time I use a 12" is with a hand drill when the 6" isn't quite enough to go all the way through from both ends with the lathe. You'll definitely want to do it on the lathe though whenever possible. If you can find an 8 or 9" 5/32 (1/8 works o.k. too IMO) that's probably ideal for striper sized plugs.

Yeah I use them for aligning lip slots off of belly holes. Just fit a pin in and some kind of stopping mechanism to hold it parallel and slide along the band saw fence. Some guys make things out of wood to align off the slot. Either way works well enough. They're also nice for marking slots you're free handing. 

Buy a 12" bit (I prefer 1/8") and cut it down to 7", 1" in the chuck leaves 6" sticking out, you can drill a 12" plug by drilling from each end. Always start the hole with a shorter, stiffer bit from each end.

Thanks for the grommet advice.  So how I see it, buy the following at a minimum to make my first plug:

- Hooks (Stainless 316)

- Grommets (Chrome plated brass?  I couldn't find stainless).  1/8" diameter to match drill bit size.

- Stainless wire (0.062").  Can I get away with 0.032" stainless mig welding wire?

- 12" long 1/8"drill bit.  Trim bit length down to 8".

Do I need swivels if I'm using a through wire?

Last, what are your preferred sources to order from that are inexpensive?  Do you typically use one source or do you order from multiple sources.

In NJ there is a TACKLE supplier that can be found with a quick google search, supplies a lot of us with parts/supplies. You'll find all you need except the drill bit, and Home Depot has them.