DeepBlue85

Dremeled the rod blank

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

While removing old guides on an old st croix avid I over ran into the surface of the blank.  Is this a critical issue shown in the photo? 

In a slight panic as this is a cherished rod.....any insight is welcome.

20191023_171622.jpg

Just a suggestion. Fill in with a strength epoxy. Underwrap beyond the damaged area. Coat the final wrap beyond the underwrap. Light a candle at mass. Best of luck.

You might get lucky, but generally when you break the integrity of the outer skin you're screwed.  This is why guide wraps are removed with ultimate care, by hand, and a very sharp blade, so as not to damage the blank.

But opinions are just that.  So, just rebuild it, and either it will fail or it won't, or you could get another 5 years and then it fails on the fish of a lifetime.  There really is no way to tell, so try to ignore it and move on.

And next time, remove the wraps with a sharp blade and ultimate care and you won't put yourself through the agony.

Posted (edited) · Report post

If I adjust the guide spacing and place the guide foot over that area with an underwrap, would that help reinforce?

Edited by DeepBlue85

1 min ago, DeepBlue85 said:

If I adjust the guide spacing and place the guide foot over that area with an underwrap, would that help reinforce?

Do everything you can to reinforce the area and hope for the best.  Let the mistake go, build the rod and enjoy it. 

I would google West System G Flex epoxy, get a small package and fill the cut with that.  Then moving guide spacing and wraps seems like it could help.

I think its toast. If the graphite has been damaged I don't see how wrapping/epxoy/etc will help - it will fail under load. I would tape the guides on and load it up and see what happens.

I actually have g flex....thanks for that idea, also I flexed the rod pretty deeply multiple times without issue but I can imagine it's only a matter of time.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yeah. Stress concentration going to cause problems right there. My advice is to scrap it and get a new blank. I wouldn't put all the work necessary into building a blank with a gash in it, knowing the chance of failure is pretty high. Why spend the time and effort for something that's going to fail?

Edited by RedGreen

On 10/23/2019 at 6:11 PM, Drew C. said:

I think its toast. If the graphite has been damaged I don't see how wrapping/epxoy/etc will help - it will fail under load. I would tape the guides on and load it up and see what happens.

fail it when it wont matter, best of luck

If it was one of my favorite rods I would cut it in half in the middle of the gouge, install a graphite sleeve with rod bond epoxy at least one inch above and below the cut, re-wrap and fish it.  Properly done it should be fine and not noticeable if wrapped over. I have had to cut and sleeve several rods for various reasons over the years and they are still holding up just fine.  Not for the faint of heart but I would rather repair something like this than have it blow-up casting or fighting a nice fish.

Did something like this on one my first attempts to rebuild a rod.  Fortunately it was a thick walled graphite composite blank.  Tied it off to a post and leaned into if harder than I thought I should.  Been fishing it for years and forgot about it until today.  Only 1 way to find out.

A single nick in a blank can cause it to snap under load...  All it needs is a little crease to follow and snap.

Try what you can, But if I were you, I would bring a back up rod every time. 

I would get a hold of a thin sheet of carbon fiber. Hobby model shop might have some as they are used for drone repair. Wrap the damaged area and wet it out, let cure, sand and put guide on or overwrap. When wetting out carbon fiber you can overwrap with cellophane and squeeze out extra air and epoxy. Tape up the outside area so you don't get unwanted epoxy in certain areas of blank.