DEM Parking Lot

1st gen Penn Torque 5 for canal

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I know there are a few threads already covering this topic, however, it's almost 2020 and i'd like to know how the Torque 5 is holding up to the fish funnel.

I had this reel for years now, sitting around collecting dust like any other backup reel.  Figured i'd give it a purpose in life.

This is the 1st gen Bailed TRQ5 with a little more faster retrieve rate than the newer ones.  It will be paired up with a Century SS1267 for double duty (plugging & jigging).  I hate the idea of carrying two setups with me with the sticky fingers occuring lately.

If it matters, I don't throw anything more than 4oz.

Anyway, i'd like to hear feedback from people that have been using this reel for YEARS on the ditch; how has it held up to canal standards?  Anything break on it? Personal experiences etc etc?

Thanks!

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

3 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

I hate the idea of carrying two setups with me with the sticky fingers occuring lately.

I always have two rods with me. I carry both of them, and my lure bag, down the rocks to where I'm fishing. One rod is my jigging set up. The other rod is my popper, long distance setup. When a blitz breaks out, it's great having my popper rod with me on the rocks so I can quickly change my rod, rather than climbing back up the rocks to switch out. And having my lure bag with me, makes it easier to change up lures on either rod.

The biggest benefit is no stolen gear.

I've had too many things stolen over the years to leave rods or lures on the grass with my bike. Hell, I even run a lock & cable through my tires so my bike doesn't get stolen.

Two rods also make great walking sticks to help balance oneself on the slippery rocks.  :)

1 hour ago, zak-striper said:

I always have two rods with me. I carry both of them, and my lure bag, down the rocks to where I'm fishing. One rod is my jigging set up. The other rod is my popper, long distance setup. When a blitz breaks out, it's great having my popper rod with me on the rocks so I can quickly change my rod, rather than climbing back up the rocks to switch out. And having my lure bag with me, makes it easier to change up lures on either rod.

I've had too many things stolen over the years to leave rods or lures on the grass with my bike. Hell, I even run a lock & cable through my tires so my bike doesn't get stolen.

Two rods also make great walking sticks to help balance oneself on the slippery rocks.  :)

Whut he said.   Esp the walking sticks ;)

3 hours ago, zak-striper said:

That's what i've been doing for years as well; dedicated setups for plugging & jigging, purse full of plugs, jig box etc etc. 

But i'm starting to like the idea of packing light on outings. 

One set-up, small plug bag with essentials, makes being mobile easier when you consistently switch spots, especially in crowded areas.  And despite always taking two setups with me, I find myself always using my ss1267.  I jig with it at night & plug with it at 1st light.  So i'm thinking of dedicating this stick as my multi-duty rod.  I just need a faster reel to pair with it than my VS which the Penn Torque may serve well.

It'll work. But not ideal. I got one as a gift and used it on the canal for a couple seasons. It get's tiring when used for a whole tide jigging session given the relatively slow retrieve rate combined with the slight handle resistance due to the seals (compared to the smooth, free-spinning shimanos and daiwas). Especially true for spots that require long casts/drifts to reach to reach a hole. The relatively smaller spool diameter doesn't make it ideal for long cast plugging either (though apparently all you need to do now is under hand toss a magic swimmer and your into fish...)

All that being said, I did use it for a couple seasons when jumping from spot to spot at night (when you could still do that), targeting close in rips with both jigs/shads and plugs, wanting to stay versatile and light, bringing just one set up and a light bag. Handled big fish in the current just fine. Drag is excellent.  Now I only use it in the surf where i'm going to get wet and use 'gosas and the like in the canal.

23 hours ago, seven j said:

It'll work. But not ideal. I got one as a gift and used it on the canal for a couple seasons. It get's tiring when used for a whole tide jigging session given the relatively slow retrieve rate combined with the slight handle resistance due to the seals (compared to the smooth, free-spinning shimanos and daiwas). Especially true for spots that require long casts/drifts to reach to reach a hole. The relatively smaller spool diameter doesn't make it ideal for long cast plugging either (though apparently all you need to do now is under hand toss a magic swimmer and your into fish...)

All that being said, I did use it for a couple seasons when jumping from spot to spot at night (when you could still do that), targeting close in rips with both jigs/shads and plugs, wanting to stay versatile and light, bringing just one set up and a light bag. Handled big fish in the current just fine. Drag is excellent.  Now I only use it in the surf where i'm going to get wet and use 'gosas and the like in the canal.

Hey thanks for the feedback.

I do understand that there are better reels for the canal in regards to retrieve rate but this torque reel is all I have at the moment.  Well I also have VS & ZB reels but those things are slower than a hurd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter when fishing the canal lol.

I have entertained the thought of buying a higher end shimano or daiwa but not sure if the investment would be worth it for me since I don't fish the canal too often.  The Saragosa 10K has a 40inch retrieve rate versus the 1 gen TRQ5 which is at 38inches so I mind as well use the Torque.

Anyway, thanks again for your feedback; good to hear that your reel held up the the years of use.

No problem. I thought the same thing about the Saragosa 10K and the TRQ5 in terms of retrieve rate. I own both and it is just much easier to real faster on the gosa. I think the 2" makes a difference but it's also a combo of it being more free spinning and the handle. I swapped out the paddle knob that comes with the TRQ5 with the TRQ7 knob and I find it much more comfortable in general, but especially reeling at high speeds.

Anyway, the Torque will serve you just fine and I agree that it's not worth the investment for the higher end canal-specific stuff if you're not fishing there often. Good Luck!

I have been using torque 5 bailess for about ten years at the C-anal. Never ever had a problem with any fish up to close to 50 lbs., even during mid-tide currents. Freakin use it bud!

15 hours ago, seven j said:

No problem. I thought the same thing about the Saragosa 10K and the TRQ5 in terms of retrieve rate. I own both and it is just much easier to real faster on the gosa. I think the 2" makes a difference but it's also a combo of it being more free spinning and the handle. I swapped out the paddle knob that comes with the TRQ5 with the TRQ7 knob and I find it much more comfortable in general, but especially reeling at high speeds.

Anyway, the Torque will serve you just fine and I agree that it's not worth the investment for the higher end canal-specific stuff if you're not fishing there often. Good Luck!

14 hours ago, massmike said:

I have been using torque 5 bailess for about ten years at the C-anal. Never ever had a problem with any fish up to close to 50 lbs., even during mid-tide currents. Freakin use it bud!

Hey thanks guys.  I was pretty sure the reel would do fine at the canal but just like to hear reassurance.

Steve, was the TRQ7 knob a direct fit to the 5?  I'm wondering if the newer gen knobs will fit a 1st gen...

6 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

was the TRQ7 knob a direct fit to the 5?  I'm wondering if the newer gen knobs will fit a 1st gen..

It definitely used to be a direct swap. Not sure about the newest generations. Could probably get the correct answer in the Penn forum.  

On 10/24/2019 at 7:25 AM, DEM Parking Lot said:

I guess the Penn torque is non-existent at the canal???

I have owned a few and they have performed admirably at the canal. The tlretrieve rate is fast enough, the gears are strong, and the drag is smooth. What not to love?

On 26/10/2019 at 4:34 PM, Captain Ahab said:

I use my tq 5 at the ccc just fine.  Not a long casting reel better for the heavy work 

On 28/10/2019 at 5:08 PM, ged said:

I have owned a few and they have performed admirably at the canal. The tlretrieve rate is fast enough, the gears are strong, and the drag is smooth. What not to love?

Been using this reel on my last few outings and quite impressed with it.  Love the retrieve rate and drag compared to my VS reels.  This will definitely be my new canal reel.

What braid are you guys using on your torque?  I have mine loaded with original 40lb powerpro and cannot escape the wind knots.  I've never had issues with wind knots on any of my reels before...