DeepBlue85

K-style guides

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Curious what the idea behind this style guide is meant to achieve vs older style frames.  I fish older style guides on all my rods but interested in adding some modern guides to an old run avid m.  The blank is super light and sensitive so I'm trying to keep it that way.....do I need a concept layout to justify their use or can I keep the guide count around 5?

Edited by DeepBlue85

In order to reap any of the benefits of the K guides, your definitely going to need to alter the layout.  5 Guides is unlikely.  Consider Keeping the existing layout and upgrading to a better guide/ring material.  

The K frame guides have a different angle from the foot to the ring, helping to keep braided line from tangling on the guides.  Look at Anglers Resource for a lot of information.  At one time they had some high speed video showing the advantage.

Also about the weight, a new modern layout with the optimal sized guides will more than likely be still be lighter with it's additional guides than old school cof guide layout 

The k's are a great guide with the concept layout. What's your  setup like , reel ,line. Ypu will probably never need a 50 ring. The typical K guide concept layout starts with a 30 for a large spinning reel (3" diameter spool)

10m old school avid eith a 22zb 

I'm a fan of traditional guide configuration so was curious if modern guides with a traditional layout would be of any benefit.

Just a thought:

If you current layout uses SV's in a 50 40 30 20 16 + 16 tip-top in an old school COF layout, the total guide weight is around 45g.

KW's 30/25/20/12 with 5x KW10's (breathe deeply, I know 9 guides + a tip-top sounds like a lot) weigh in at 32g.

13g doesn't sound like much of a saving, but when you put big guides out towards the tip top the impact is significant.

Buy a set, tape them on and test. You will be pleasantly surprised...