Kent I

Stick-on eye question

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

So I’ve built several plugs, intending to use stick on eyes, without giving any thought to how I was going to locate them. Apparently this is easy to do, but I can’t quite figure it out. Could someone please enlighten me? 

Well, any fish will not being seeing the plug from both sides, so anywhere near the front should suffice. I'm not a builder but don't think this is critical. If its a squid plug, put em in the back. Post some pix and you'll get more comments. 

2 hours ago, Punch63 said:

I lay the plug flat, determine where I want eyes to be located, then drill thru plug with 

a 1/32 bit, marking eye location

I do the same. Works well.

Unfortunately, these are painted and ready for epoxy, so I’m reluctant to handle them any more than necessary, even with gloves in.

Stick one on where you want it, then lightly attach the eye on the other side, look at it from the top to make sure it's even with the other side, and lightly adjust as necessary. Take your time, I just did 4 of these last night.

2 hours ago, Ed White said:

Stick one on where you want it, then lightly attach the eye on the other side, look at it from the top to make sure it's even with the other side, and lightly adjust as necessary. Take your time, I just did 4 of these last night.

Thanks Ed, that worked great. It’s pretty easy to over complicate things...I was thinking along the lines of templates and wrap around patterns and so on. I figured there was a simple way to get good results, but wasn’t smart enough to figure it out.

I use make-shift jigs...With plug laying flat, I stick the nose to a stop and a block to measure back, and make a hash mark. Then, another block to measure up from belly,make hash mark. Now, I have a cross where each sticker-eye should be. I still have trouble placing them exact. The absolute worse is when the sticker lifts at an edge while applying epoxy. Anybody know how to prevent that?

10 hours ago, Kent I said:

Unfortunately, these are painted and ready for epoxy, so I’m reluctant to handle them any more than necessary, even with gloves in.

I handle painted but pre-epoxy plugs to put eyes on, all the time. The day before epoxy, I gently wash them with paper towel and some dish detergent, rinse thoroughly, let dry (dry is imperative). The washing with soap has been a game changer for me, I might get one tiny void on a batch of 8, usually none. Epoxy even sticks decent to metallic spray can