Garshark572

Fall trout stocking

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Hi I'm new to long island and from the midwest I have heard there are a place on long island that gets stocked.  I'm just wondering what location get stocked and any other info you might have.

Expect to fish within a few 100 feet of a congested highway, don't have mid-west trout fishing expectations lol. Go upstate if you really are into trout fishing, or have low expectations.

I never found the highway to be that obtrusive.  It's kind of a nice park.

On the other hand, the fish are the epitome of what writer Ted Williams refers to as "rubber trout," hatchery fish pumpled out for public consumption, with little of the wildness that makes wild trout so attractive.

You take a walk up to the hatchery.  You see the little vending machine where kids can pay a quarter for trout pellets and feed them to the fish in the pools.  Then, one day, the same trout that are used to being hand-fed by smiling juveniles are netted out of the hatchery ponds and tossed into the stream, where the people who they have been trained to view as benefactors and sources of food are trying to stick sharp bits of steel in their mouths.

I've fished there a couple of times, but it just doesn't feel like real trout fishing to me.  That fact was brought home all the more by a well-known local outdoor writer I was speaking with, who was complaining that the current person responsible for maintaining the waters isn't doing his job right, because he only feeds the trout in a relatively small section of the stream, and so the other beats have far fewer fish in them than they used to (there have been a lot of changes since discovery of infectious pancreatic necrosis in the park's hatchery a decade or so ago resulted in the river being shut down for a few years before being reopened under new rearing/stocking protocols).

But when a place prohibits the use of flies that resemble pelleted trout food, that probably tells you about all that you need to know.

Edited by CWitek

On 11/9/2019 at 4:20 PM, CWitek said:

I never found the highway to be that obtrusive.  It's kind of a nice park.

On the other hand, the fish are the epitome of what writer Ted Williams refers to as "rubber trout," hatchery fish pumpled out for public consumption, with little of the wildness that makes wild trout so attractive.

You take a walk up to the hatchery.  You see the little vending machine where kids can pay a quarter for trout pellets and feed them to the fish in the pools.  Then, one day, the same trout that are used to being hand-fed by smiling juveniles are netted out of the hatchery ponds and tossed into the stream, where the people who they have been trained to view as benefactors and sources of food are trying to stick sharp bits of steel in their mouths.

I've fished there a couple of times, but it just doesn't feel like real trout fishing to me.  That fact was brought home all the more by a well-known local outdoor writer I was speaking with, who was complaining that the current person responsible for maintaining the waters isn't doing his job right, because he only feeds the trout in a relatively small section of the stream, and so the other beats have far fewer fish in them than they used to (there have been a lot of changes since discovery of infectious pancreatic necrosis in the park's hatchery a decade or so ago resulted in the river being shut down for a few years before being reopened under new rearing/stocking protocols).

But when a place prohibits the use of flies that resemble pelleted trout food, that probably tells you about all that you need to know.

Connetqout is a nice park by LI standards. At least it was the last time I've been there over a decade ago. I was more referring to the LI trout scene in general, it feels very "fake" to me.

Edited by C.Robin

14 hours ago, C.Robin said:

Connetqout is a nice park by LI standards. At least it was the last time I've been there over a decade ago. I was more referring to the LI trout scene in general, it feels very "fake" to me.

Very fake. Literally like shooting fish in a barrel. Gotta love going to a lake or river that's been stocked to go find bass, only to see a bunch of dead rainbows at the bottom.

On 11/9/2019 at 4:20 PM, CWitek said:

:laugh:  Match the hatch.   I have the same sentiment about trophy fish in private waters.   

18 hours ago, C.Robin said:

There is only one stream that is somewhat of an exception to that.  If you fished it, you know which one I mean—it even has some natural reproduction and legitimate hatches. If folks haven’t fished it, I’m not going to ruin the surprise by naming the water.