Spigola

GPS/SONAR RECOMMENDATION FOR BAY USAGE

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Looking for recommendations for a combo GPS/SONAR unit for use in NJ bays that already has maps of NAV AIDS installed.  Trying to keep the price down as low as possible and still get a decent piece of equipment that would get me to a fishing location or back to our dock when a fog rears its head.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I can make a recommendation what to NOT get:  Do not get a Lowrance Hook series GPD/Sonar.  The company cheaped out by eliminating a dedicated WPT button, and also a dedicated EXIT button.  They had these on their earlier HDS units, which I have used and thoroughly enjoyed; and got snookered buying the Hook.  So now I have to go hunting through menus and scrolling to get at these functions... or to get out out of functions I am already in.  Also, the buttons are not back lit... another cheap out.  Therefore, I have to turn on a flashlight to interrogate the unit at night.

helix 7.  I got a G2, but get the G3N for a little more.  My g2 has side imaging, can make custom contour maps from it, and has gps to mark your way home.  Maps are extra, but affordable.

Mine shares homes with a 16ft tin boat and a pedal kayak,

Edited by salt deficient

1 hour ago, salt deficient said:

helix 7.  I got a G2, but get the G3N for a little more.  My g2 has side imaging, can make custom contour maps from it, and has gps to mark your way home.  Maps are extra, but affordable.

Mine shares homes with a 16ft tin boat and a pedal kayak,

I would 2nd this, I like the Hummingbirds a lot.

We put one on the Mako 17 and it is great, it does have a chip, but it wasn't expensive and the charting is impressive.

3 hours ago, Billybob said:

I would 2nd this, I like the Hummingbirds a lot.

We put one on the Mako 17 and it is great, it does have a chip, but it wasn't expensive and the charting is impressive.

Which model Hummingbird are you using and how is it holding up.  I was led to believe they were fresh water units mostly.

I think it's the helix 7, it's holding up fine Hummingbird has come a long way since it's bass boat days.

I like the charting better than my other buddy's Garmin.

I researched this extensively earlier in the year and ended up with a GO9 XSE and a Raymarine Element 9 HV after considering all brands.  I would strongly suggest taking a look at the Raymarine Elements, the imagery is excellent and they generally come with Navionics+ charts.  Having the Navionics+ charts running side by side with the C-Map plus charts on the GO9, the Navionics charts are worlds better and well worth a small bump in price if there is one.  I would not buy another unit with "base maps."

The sonar/chirp imagery is also better on the Element than the GO.  I have not really decided if there are meaningful differences between the down scan and side scan imagery, but the Element will show fish in side scan.  Downscan on the GO with the "FishReveal" is kind of nice, but standard chirp on the Raymarine shows them better.

If you decide to buy an Element, shop around.  I bought my 9 HV from Hodges for about $815 toward the middle of the summer.  Also, be sure to get the HV100 transducer with it.

The only downside to the Element compared to the GO9 is the interface.  I don't mind the buttons, but the touch screen and interface of the GO9 is a little more user friendly I think.  Also, the buttons on the Element are not back lit (I don't know if any FF's have back lit buttons) so finding the right one at night is a pain.

I’ve had a Garmin Echomap 73DV for four years now in my boat and fish mostly in the bay and i really like it

has great features like maps and navaids and the screen in the perfect size and 

different flavors of sonar including downvu and clearvu 

has the ability to save quite a few tracks (i haven’t maxed mine out yet)

prices are reasonable 

41 mins ago, sardean said:

bumping this up.  Looking for the same but will go out 5 miles or so

depth is more important that distance at that range.  5 miles where ?  e of the bahams (10,000 ft) or s of long island (70’)

Take a look at the Simrad Go series with totalscan transducer in either 5,7 or 9

touchscreen that works really well. Can add sonar to the Go9

Very intuitive  quality unit

I have a friend at the gps store. He recommended the garmin echomap as well. Leaning that way. 5 miles off NJ in reference to above. I’d like to enter in some axel carlson and sea girt reef points. 

On 10/22/2019 at 6:16 PM, Spigola said:

Which model Hummingbird are you using and how is it holding up.  I was led to believe they were fresh water units mostly.

I've been very happy with my Humminbird 997c SI that I purchase maybe 12 years ago when they first introduced their side imaging technology. I've moved it from boat to boat with few if any problems in a strictly saltwater environment. When I do have an issue their tech support people are anxious to help despite the age of my unit. Pick one up used if you can.