jrzyripper

Big water plugs

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I recently won a Lamiglas GSB11MS (new 2 piece version of the GSB1321M) on one of their social media giveaways. Now that i have some big water equipment, I need to fill my bag with some gear to combat the elements. Think New Jersey beaches, Nor' Easter, 20-30 mph in your face winds,  6+ foot waves. 

What are some of your go to plugs to chuck in these conditions? 

Currently in the bag are:

1. 3-4 OZ diamond jigs

2. 4 OZ Savage Gear jigs/shads

3. SS Bottle Plugs

4. SS Bullet (Heavy 2.5 OZ)

5. 2-4 OZ Bucktails

6. 3 OZ Pencil popper/ Little Neck Popper

What am I missing?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Needlefish  on the heavy side. The bottle plug is good for waves but not for casting against 30 mph wind

Edited by levari

Bucktails, tins and needlefish. Maybe a bottle for good measure if the wind subsides, but Leave all the other fancy stuff at home. I'm definitely an over-packer of "just in case" plugs, but only ever find myself going for these top 3 every heavy wind. Tins would be #1, and they absolutely work at night. 

Habs bullets. Loki Seasliders cast very well. Afterhours makes the below plug not sure what he calls it but it casts like no tomorrow and is very easy to work.

P1200008.JPG

P1200012.JPG

4 oz bucktail? sounds like you should be at home watching some netflix.

Ill add my 2cents, I have tried your approach where I want to punch through the wind and manage the tubrulance. When I have had success with heavy wind in my face, the fish are at my feet. Slinging an SP 30 feet might be all you need. The turbulance throwing your plug around could be what the fish are looking for.

8 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Ill add my 2cents, I have tried your approach where I want to punch through the wind and manage the tubrulance. When I have had success with heavy wind in my face, the fish are at my feet. Slinging an SP 30 feet might be all you need. The turbulance throwing your plug around could be what the fish are looking for.

You saying it's like an easy task sling that sp 30 feet to get pass the breakers. :laugh:

16 mins ago, hobobob said:

You saying it's like an easy task sling that sp 30 feet to get pass the breakers. :laugh:

Easily one of the most frustrating tasks but it works when it works :soapbox:

Last fall we had a NE that was gusting up to 40 and I went to cast a bomber and the wind caught it on a chitty cast then the plug almost hit me in the top of the head

1 hour ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Exactly . . . conditions he is speaking of with 6+ breakers means you're fishing the trough.  You can get some relief from the breakers and punch several plugs the necessary distance.  If you're trying to throw over the bar and breakers, good luck, I would stay at home and watch netflix LOL

1 hour ago, sbcbmx112 said:

An inline sinker or bass casting sinker or & a couple flys.

Frank Daignault’s secret. Teasers in front of weight. Plastics in front of weight. I recall catching bass once on a tiny 2 tone pink metallic flake FinS (maybe 2”, I don’t think they are even made anymore) rigged with a 2/0 mustad as a teaser in front of a ridiculous size 5” hammered Hopkins. All fish on the FinS. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Experience in those conditions....... fish that sort of thing enough and it's no longer a question for a bunch of random internet opinions.  Speaking of internet opinions, you're safety and awareness are more important than anything and that alone takes time, but my personal choice of rod would also have been different. The "new old" run though different from it's origins might suffice but  Imo the current 1321m is soft for punching into stiff winds with larger plugs.  Going stiffer and maybe a touch shorter to reduce surface area in the wind could be an asset but your casting stroke will need to be quicker and more powerful.....which is where a softer, longer rod unfolding forward in the wind falls short. 6 or 10 inches makes a big difference, that's what she said.

Super strike bottle plugs super strike needles and heavier bucktails appropriate for the sweep, depth and wind you're dealing with.

Edited by DeepBlue85