HKJonathan

Idiots and access

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

This past weekend, I stopped by a popular North Fork fishing spot.  Access to this spot requires walking through a neighborhood association area.  This is private property and the road leading up to it is a private street (all clearly marked as private).  Fishermen have been tolerated at the spot as long as they were respectful and adhered to some basic requirements such as not parking directly in front of the association area.  Last Saturday, while walking across the association area, I was met by one of the homeowners who explained that fishermen had become intolerable in the area.  People were zooming around through the neighborhood in their trucks and cars, leaving garbage, peeing on the beach, talking loudly at all hours of the day and night.  It seems that when this homeowner tried to speak to one fisherman, they guy copped a lot of attitude with the result that the homeowner, while he did not blame me, warned me that if he encountered any more such attitude and disrespect, was going to make sure that no one could access the spot.  I told him I understood completely.  Right then, some other guy starts an argument with the homeowner saying that the beach is public property.  This is true in Long Island up to the highwater mark, but it is impossible to access the beach without trespassing (I think the nearest other access point is 2+ miles away and this is a pebble and rock beach so the walk would be brutal).  I left so I don't know how the argument ended but a friend got an email on Sunday from his fishing club.  Apparently, there was an incident at the spot in question and the police had to be called.  The result?  Anyone parking in the area will have their car towed.  What a great outcome.  Thanks very much to those guys who ruined it for the rest of us.

BTW, I specifically have not mentioned the spot, so if anyone reading this post knows the spot I am referring to, please do not mention it.  The last thing we need is to draw more attention to the spot.  Thanks

That sucks, there is always someone that has to ruin a good thing. HKJ, you did the respectful and correct thing, I only wish everyone else did the same. 

I used to fish many spots in that area. The weekend trash ended access to at least 5 of these spots. The trash thought it was appropriate to wizz on the edge of residents lawns in broad daylight. The spots I’m talking about have been illegal to park in since the late 90’s. There were also fire roads to access the bluff areas. A lot of trash, and abuse caused them to be left to grow over.

I just love what’s become of fishing :th::th: Like everything else that becomes popular, it’s turning to sh*t pretty quickly. 

I fish the state parks. The biggest issue I've seen is poaching

and me pulling out of the parking lot playing loud classic rock.

Lots of places here on L.I. have been polluted with a certain group of filth. 

They spread their diseases here. Come out of the cracks at nite.

Beware the filthy pigs. They should be shot.

You know who you are.

We lost the right to fish our bridges because of the mayhem and mess up there, Blood and bunker stank, blocking sidewalks, reaching back to cast without looking and hitting cars

A few idiots and slobs screwed the rest of us

If I was one of the abutters and this happened to me I’d take matters into my hands like a ninja. A nice can of spray foam into the tailpipes of said morons. 

7 hours ago, Sudsy said:

We lost the right to fish our bridges because of the mayhem and mess up there, Blood and bunker stank, blocking sidewalks, reaching back to cast without looking and hitting cars

A few idiots and slobs screwed the rest of us

Sudsy: Hear ya. Bridges on Long Island have been off limits for some time now. It was getting a little dangerous anyway, with the drunks returning from the beach to the mainland.

We've had similar problems in Connecticut. Several access spots have been lost in recent years, including some of the best. Many other spots are hanging in the balance, with associations trying to have access shut down. The best defense I can see, other than having utmost respect for the residents and the locations, is to call the police when you see people violating the law and performing actions that are illegal and endangering continued access (illegal parking, littering, poaching,...). As for legal but obnoxious behaviors, there's not much we can do other than to educate people on proper etiquette, and hope that they learn from it. I don't have much hope for many of the spots I currently fish.

It’s really a shame when people who are good stewards of a resource lose it because of the actions of people who simply don’t care. It’s a given that there will always be those who are careful to abide by the rules but then  there will also be those who never play fair or fulfill their obligations to others. Really disgraceful.