SurfFishDan

Penn Conflict II Long Cast - versions ?

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

Under the box of my recently aquired Conflict II 6000LC, I see a number that seems to indicate it is Ver 2 (version 2 ?)

If so, is there more than 2 versions, is it the latest?

If possible, I'd like to know what was corrected between each versions.

Also, is there any strengh test on the RR30 that is published or available?

I bought this reel to fish all day, cast  2 to 3.5 oz surface lures and burn them back to shore. Makes sense for this reel?

I would be aiming what Cabo has to offer, Roosterfish, Toro, Snook, Snappers, Sierra, etc.

Thanks,

Posted (edited) · Report post

Dan,

The versions/revisions could be something as simple as an artwork change on the box to correct a line capacity, wrong part # on the schematic, spelling error on the manual, etc..  No functional changes happened to the CFT II LC since launch.  I'll ask our Engineer about the RR30 strength test. and report back.

tony

Edited by PENN Fishing

2 hours ago, FISH BUCKET said:

What is RR30?

It's the material of which the Conflict II reels are made of (body and rotor). A kind of plastic based material reinforced with 30% carbon, Rigid Resin 30 (RR30).

Fancy plastic like a certain member would say.

4 hours ago, PENN Fishing said:

Dan,

The versions/revisions could be something as simple as an artwork change on the box to correct a line capacity, wrong part # on the schematic, spelling error on the manual, etc..  No functional changes happened to the CFT II LC since launch.  I'll ask our Engineer about the RR30 strength test. and report back.

tony

Thanks Tony,

Since I never used these RR30 reels before, I'm just wondering about long term overall tightness within the reel, mainly in the area where drive gear bearings and pinnion bearings are sitting. Espescially after fighting big roosters or jacks from the beach. Of course I will make the rod do most of the work by pumping the fish, but still...

*Since I got your attention, when I spin the handle, all is smooth but there is a slight buzzing. Is it the CNC aluminum (it is aluminum right?) gear ''micro grid pattern'' on the teeth working wih the pinion? Will it go away after some use?

Dan,

Straight from our Engineer. tony

I read through the thread and you are correct about the product art, we adjust that number throughout development as we make changes to weights, images, etc. No changes have been made to the 6000LC reel since launch.

Regarding the RR30, it is correct that this is a carbon infused material. We are using this on the body and rotor. This material is around three times more rigid than a part of comparable size using standard nylon.

It sounds like SurfFishDan’s primary concern is gear alignment under load. The design of the Conflict II should not sacrifice gear life, we still built these reels with an aluminum side plate to keep the drive gear and pinion aligned properly under heavy load. All PENN reels have a stringent gear life test and the Conflict II reels are no exception.

Also, it is typical for the reels to have a slight noise when new from the machining marks of the CNC machine. This will likely go away as the reel is broken in.