squammer

Name Your Top 5 "Go-To" Striper Flies

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a bag/box full of flies I like and have a hard time narrowing down my options. Still new to the game!

I am curious as to what your Top 5 "Go-To" (most used, most trusted, etc) striped bass flies are AND why/when you use them. You can have 1 honorable mention for fun...

Currently, for where I fish in North Shore MA, I would say the following list is my current top 5: (Note: I use intermediate line for everything just about).

1. 2/0 Half & Half in olive and white w/ some flash: Just a great all around fly for me. This is a confidence fly. Lots of current where I am so the weighted head helps get it down. Sand eel imitation because it get slim when wet I guess... Also the weight makes it easier to cast in wind and in carries itself better in turbulent surf water. I retrieve with short, jerky strips with short pauses.

2. 2/0 Bears Den PFG Half & Half white/chartreuse: This fly is longer than the prior Half & Half fly on this list by 1" with a few hackle feathers slicking out back to make a larger profile. Also this one has a more pronounced dive motion due to heavier apoxy coated head. I use this one in deeper water and off my boat cause it really gets down there. I retrieve with long strips and longer pauses to let sink.
3. 3/0 Bears Den Rainy’s/Murphy’s Rhody Flatwing 3/0 olive/white/brown/chart (“peabody” color): This fly is a pretty good size fly but is still easy to cast for me. Gets slim when wet. One of my first flies on the line in all types of conditions. 
4. 2/0 Tabory Black Snake Fly (long body w/ heavy hook that sinks it a bit -- not surface vee-wake style like many of this kind of fly are): This is my ultimate night fishing fly -- easy to cast, eel imitation, and catches. I was given this fly and the same fly has probably 50 fish on it. It's so sparse now from all the action that I will need to find another one but I just can't find one that is similar to this one! HELP.

5. 2/0 white/Chartreuse deceiver: Easy to cast, stays up in water column when in shallow water over rocks. I duno...

Honorable Mention: Andrew Ties Flies 4/0 white/chartreuse hollow fleye: This is my big fly that I use from my boat when casting into baitfish on surface. I use two handed (reel in armpit) type retrieve. I caught my biggest striper with this fly in this way. 

How about you?

(is it winter yet? this is totally a winter thread...)

Edited by squammer

8 mins ago, bloosfisher said:

None of the above and whatever is working at the time. Most of the time retrieve, fly size and presentation  (depth) is the key. 

So you don't have any specifics to share? 

Depends on time of year.

Spring,small sand eels#4-6, shrimp#4-6, crabs,#2-4, 3/8",wht ,pencil popper,on a longshank,#1/0   aaaaand,my #1 fly for spring,a 5/0 squid

Fall,2-3" p'nut for early fall in back,5-6"p'nut in the surf oct-nov,6-8" ,3/0 sand eels,6-8", wht popper in 5/0,calico crabs in #1-2/0(in the surf)

11 mins ago, titleguy said:

1.  Chartreuse and White Clouser

2-5 rinse and repeat.....:eek:

For my goals of keeping it simple, THIS is what I am looking for!

I know a guy up here who fishes black clousers almost exclusively.  He catches more fish than most. 

Chart/White Clouser

Olive/White Clouser

Chart/White big eye deceiver ( my #1 North shore fly over the years)

Olive crab

Purple/Olive seaducer

1) Chartreuse over white Clouser minnow

2) Cape Ann Baitfish (effectively a Deceiver in olive and white)

3) Chartreuse or Black Gurgler

4) Black Kinky Muddler

5) White or Black Hollow Fleye

I rarely fish anything smaller than a 1/0, and tie these patterns up to a 4/0.

I own a ton of flies that I'll use or Stripers. Many serve double duty for LM bass too.

Subsurface:

Clouser Minnow

Half & Half

Deceiver

Seaducer

Rabbit Strip flies

Honorable mention - Murdich Minnow variation. 

Sizes from 2 to 5/0 = flies in 3" to 6" length range most of the time.

Colors depends on the conditions. IMO size and profile are more important than the colors, at least most of the time. 

Surface:

Poppers, Sliders, Gurglers

Plus Crease Flies

I couldn’t list 5. Basically, big baitfish patterns of my own design, and occasionally hollow flies. I’m not interested in schoolies. 

38 mins ago, Seadogg said:

I couldn’t list 5. Basically, big baitfish patterns of my own design, and occasionally hollow flies. I’m not interested in schoolies. 

one of my biggest bass ever came on a 2" sandeel...never woulda believed it could happen till it did,also caught some really nice fish on tiny crabs/shrimp

ever go to a party or social gathering where they have a shrimp ring/tray? did you not pick up a couple? bass are like that too...

in my daily fishing ,where I'm casting blind/working structure I use a lot of big flies but there's time when the lil ones are the ticket,esp in sight fishing the shallows

Oh, I hear you man. A few years back I caught a pretty large bass on a demolished fly that was down to a few strands of flash blend on the hook. That said, I do my best work with very big flies.