That time of the year. I prefer light tackle jigging for Pike and still stay in the zone for a monster CT River Smallmouth.  Slow for the small but nice Pike can fill the void! Storm Fire Tiger swim shad.

2E72ACD1-118A-4CED-8E7C-AE258C26A924.jpeg

0E9CCB47-7D6E-41FC-946A-AB265C7A54A1.jpeg

Awesome fish Riddler!   Such a great photo!   Congrats man!

If my knee wasn't so swollen I'd probably take you up on that trip!  Sux!

Edited by flylikabird

"For our discussion of kayak angling is no trifling matter but is the way to conduct our lives, nobody untrained in fishing may enter my house."- Fly's Plato

On 10/21/2019 at 1:37 PM, The Riddler said:

That time of the year. I prefer light tackle jigging for Pike and still stay in the zone for a monster CT River Smallmouth.  Slow for the small but nice Pike can fill the void! Storm Fire Tiger swim shad.

2E72ACD1-118A-4CED-8E7C-AE258C26A924.jpeg

0E9CCB47-7D6E-41FC-946A-AB265C7A54A1.jpeg

Nice yellow perch resemblance on that swim bait. Did it hit close to the yak just before you pulled out the water? That scares the soul out of you when there's no action then... wham! 

No one that I know works as hard as The Riddler to score on large.... hands down!  

If he gives up the opportunity to join him on an adventure like this, either you don't want to possiblly score large or you're just plain lazy!!!

Nobody guides like this dude!  Nobody!!!!!!!!!!!! Fly

"For our discussion of kayak angling is no trifling matter but is the way to conduct our lives, nobody untrained in fishing may enter my house."- Fly's Plato

2 hours ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

Nice yellow perch resemblance on that swim bait. Did it hit close to the yak just before you pulled out the water? That scares the soul out of you when there's no action then... wham! 

I was fishing a mill foil /dying Lilly pad edge. 4 to 8' drop. Water was 51. Water had a stained color from all the dying leaves and with cloudy skies. Cast let it sink and Swig (swim jig it in).  I prefer swim baits. That fire-tiger color is my go too for Pike. Even with spinner baits up in Maine at the Belgrade area I like that Fire-tiger combo and bright yellow. The spinner bait is nice to work in shallow. When it gets from 51 down I prefer the swimbait's.  Storm works great out of the package. If I get some time before the next trip I would like to pour some firetiger color swim baits on 1/2oz and 3/4oz jig heads. 

Pike are pretty smart fish. Sometimes they don't commit. You have to try and figure eight when they come by the kayak. It's an advantage if you are standing. Sitting in a kayak is tough to do the figure 8 technique because you can't get an early read on.

firetiger.jpg

storm fire tiger.JPG

I have great faith in storm style shads and they do swim better than tsunami. Yes I said it because they do. Guys will have there say. Haha. I'm picking those up tomorrow and will introduce into saltwater as well. I would like to make my own version of shads also. Would you make a die off the Storm? That was my path to take maybe this winter. Thanks Riddler.

52 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I was fishing a mill foil /dying Lilly pad edge. 4 to 8' drop. Water was 51. Water had a stained color from all the dying leaves and with cloudy skies. Cast let it sink and Swig (swim jig it in).  I prefer swim baits. That fire-tiger color is my go too for Pike. Even with spinner baits up in Maine at the Belgrade area I like that Fire-tiger combo and bright yellow. The spinner bait is nice to work in shallow. When it gets from 51 down I prefer the swimbait's.  Storm works great out of the package. If I get some time before the next trip I would like to pour some firetiger color swim baits on 1/2oz and 3/4oz jig heads. 

Pike are pretty smart fish. Sometimes they don't commit. You have to try and figure eight when they come by the kayak. It's an advantage if you are standing. Sitting in a kayak is tough to do the figure 8 technique because you can't get an early read on.

firetiger.jpg

storm fire tiger.JPG

I love Fire Tiger. It works in so many places for many different species of fish. Definitely a must have color.

9 hours ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

I have great faith in storm style shads and they do swim better than tsunami. Yes I said it because they do. Guys will have there say. Haha. I'm picking those up tomorrow and will introduce into saltwater as well. I would like to make my own version of shads also. Would you make a die off the Storm? That was my path to take maybe this winter. Thanks Riddler.

It can easily be copied. Where the Storm and Tsunami  fall short imo is slow speed in colder water. The best bait I have found for that so far is the housatonic Lure Company. Winter Striped Bass especially the big ones can be tough to get.  Very fussy and hardly eat when they suspend.    That slow flopping tail for the 5" is the best.

440B789A-59AE-43DF-9668-621DD2E69C04.png

Edited by The Riddler

3 hours ago, The Riddler said:

It can easily be copied. Where the Storm and Tsunami  fall short imo is slow speed in colder water. The best bait I have found for that so far is the housatonic Lure Company. Winter Striped Bass especially the big ones can be tough to get.  Very fussy and hardly eat when they suspend.    That slow flopping tail for the 5" is the best.

440B789A-59AE-43DF-9668-621DD2E69C04.png

Another good winter striped bass swim bait is the Salt Water Assassin Sea Shad 6'. I like the Albino Shad color. Sometimes I dye the tails chartreuse. 

7 hours ago, BroadSoundBound said:

Do you ever hit the Merrimack for Pike? I'm not sure how its fishing right now but its less mileage than CT.

I don't mind the drive.  I have fished the confluence at the Concord River and Merrimack as well as Sudbury.  Too hit or miss for my liking. I never see numbers and put up too many zeros over the years.