BrokeOff

8 & 9 wt Line Selection

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I use an 8 and 9 wt on the flats and like floating, int, and sink lines.  Is there any reason to choose one sink rate over another for either wt?  As in, should the int go on the 8 and the sink go on the 9?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fly size is one because heavier line delivers bigger fly. Also if you need to fish deep then heavier line sinks faster. Third is wind when heavier line casts longer but sinking line casts longer than  floating line. 

 

Esa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crunch said:

Fly size is one because heavier line delivers bigger fly. Also if you need to fish deep then heavier line sinks faster. Third is wind when heavier line casts longer but sinking line casts longer than  floating line. 

 

Esa

So if I were fishing a 2’ deep flat a 250 gr on the 8 wt is better.  If I’m fishing a 4’ deep flat a 300 gr on the 9 wt is better.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

59 mins ago, BrokeOff said:

So if I were fishing a 2’ deep flat a 250 gr on the 8 wt is better.  If I’m fishing a 4’ deep flat a 300 gr on the 9 wt is better.
 

not neccesarily,water that shallow calls for either an I or float,although I know guys who use type 6 or 8 sinking lines to get the fly on the bottom right way

grain weight is about what loads a rod,type of sinking line from F/I, I to type 3,6,8 make the dif on how deep you can fish

I use an I line probably 75-80% of the time

Edited by slip n slide

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, slip n slide said:

not neccesarily,water that shallow calls for either an I or float,although I know guys who use type 6 or 8 sinking lines to get the fly on the bottom right way

grain weight is about what loads a rod,type of sinking line from F/I, I to type 3,6,8 make the dif on how deep you can fish

I use an I line probably 75-80% of the time

The only exception to that for me would be wind directly at me, where I needed the extra distance a thin/heavy shooting head could afford me. Then again, if it was a beach scenario, the bait and fish might be blown right in front of me. Happened once this year.

Edited by bloosfisher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m just looking to sink a heavy crab to the bottom.  I want the crab to run on the bottom rather than jumping up at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, BrokeOff said:

I’m just looking to sink a heavy crab to the bottom.  I want the crab to run on the bottom rather than jumping up at all.

In that case , I've used a 350 for both crabs and lobster flies. I did use a longer leader than I normally would with a shooting head, though. 

 

 

 

Edited by bloosfisher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.