BillyBallGame

Choosing a blank on a custom 10wt

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I'm between three blanks for a 10wt I'm having built for throwing big flies to stripers. These are: 

Diamondback Salt Flex

Batson Eternity 2 RX 9

Sage Salt HD

Anyone have experience with the first two? ~$100 and ~$225 respectively. I love the Sage but not sure if it's worth twice the price as the Batson. Thanks

I have not built on any of the blanks you mentioned. But I will tell you the best way is to actually flex the blanks you’re self. I have built my share of fly rods and my opinion is CTS is some of the best..They are lite in hand and have plenty of power .. They are just smooth casting rods but everyone has there own opinion on what they like..

Dean

Posted (edited) · Report post

Tough ask. The Sage has a good warranty. Not quite as good as a rod but still good. Your blank  be supported for many years. Can the other two makers get you a new section say in five years time.

Brian Horsey knows first hand a thing or two about Sage Rods so maybe a PM to him or he might come onto this thread.

It is almost impossible to make a reliable recommendation for either a blank or finished rod in terms of how it feels and fishes. Everyone has different ideas on what they like.

I mainly build on CTS Affinity blanks and rate them very highly. But you might not like them at all. 

It is not easy to get all three blanks side by side to make a decent comparison. If you can get to feel the blanks at all it’s better than nothing otherwise you are at the mercy of the makers marketing which is often at variance as to the the real performance capabilities of the blank.

It could be you like the lowest cost solution as it has the action and feel you prefer.

The other little issue you face is that unless you are a regular rod builder you will find it not easy to evaluate a blank compared to a fully built rod. The very slim blank in the hand and especially a ten weight is tricky at best with no handle ,on it.

I you  buy off catalogue specs alone it will be a crap shoot.

Are you building for mainly boat or shore.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

31 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Tough ask. The Sage has a good warranty. Not quite as good as a rod but still good. Your blank  be supported for many years. Can the other two makers get you a new section say in five years time.

Brian Horsey knows first hand a thing or two about Sage Rods so maybe a PM to him or he might come onto this thread.

It is almost impossible to make a reliable recommendation for either a blank or finished rod in terms of how it feels and fishes. Everyone has different ideas on what they like.

I mainly build on CTS Affinity blanks and rate them very highly. But you might not like them at all. 

It is not easy to get all three blanks side by side to make a decent comparison. If you can get to feel the blanks at all it’s better than nothing otherwise you are at the mercy of the makers marketing which is often at variance as to the the real performance capabilities of the blank.

It could be you like the lowest cost solution as it has the action and feel you prefer.

The other little issue you face is that unless you are a regular rod builder you will find it not easy to evaluate a blank compared to a fully built rod. The very slim blank in the hand and especially a ten weight is tricky at best with no handle ,on it.

I you  buy off catalogue specs alone it will be a crap shoot.

Are you building for mainly boat or shore.

Mike

Thanks for the great info, Mike. Mostly for the boat. Leaning CTS now after hearing yours and Deans recommendations 

As mentioned - Sage has a great warranty. I had an 10 year old rpl 9w that I broke the tip on, I sent it back and they gave me a brand new rod, just had to pay for the shipping

1 hour ago, BillyBallGame said:

Thanks for the great info, Mike. Mostly for the boat. Leaning CTS now after hearing yours and Deans recommendations 

Billy I have a few of HL custom rods built on CTS blanks..You are local to me so if you want to try casting one we could make it happen.. I’m also going to start building a CTS 10wt that was recommended by Herb very soon..

I've long been a fan of Sage blanks but been using a couple CTS as of late that both feel like two weights lighter in hand . The power is there when you need it....ya just wouldn't know it holding it in your hand.Pretty impressive.

I vote CTS as well 

for all same reasons as previously mentioned.

Very light but powerful blank.

If you break a section they also have a good repair policy, you just give them a few inches of blank on both sides of the break and they make you a new section.

60 bucks I think 

get in touch with Herb (HL) and he will be of great help.

CTS send free international shipping orders which is done October. 

Too stiff for 9wt lines but TFO BVK #9 blank should be nice with 10wt lines. 

Esa

3 hours ago, xp800 said:

Billy I have a few of HL custom rods built on CTS blanks..You are local to me so if you want to try casting one we could make it happen.. I’m also going to start building a CTS 10wt that was recommended by Herb very soon..

That’d be great! 

2 hours ago, crunch said:

CTS send free international shipping orders which is done October. 

Too stiff for 9wt lines but TFO BVK #9 blank should be nice with 10wt lines. 

Esa

Is this at a specific time in October?

10 mins ago, BillyBallGame said:

Is this at a specific time in October?

I have bought few CTS blanks and receive mails and latest said that ”October online orders ship free worldwide” when code: FREEOCT is wrote. It seems they have this once or twice every year. 

Esa

17 hours ago, NoVisibleLeader said:

I vote CTS as well 

for all same reasons as previously mentioned.

Very light but powerful blank.

If you break a section they also have a good repair policy, you just give them a few inches of blank on both sides of the break and they make you a new section.

60 bucks I think 

get in touch with Herb (HL) and he will be of great help.

+1 

I built a 10 on a CTS blank I got from HL and love it.  Light but strong - I landed a 4 foot Lemon Shark on it last May in Mexico.  Reach out to HL.

21 hours ago, BillyBallGame said:

I'm between three blanks for a 10wt I'm having built for throwing big flies to stripers. These are: 

Diamondback Salt Flex

Batson Eternity 2 RX 9

Sage Salt HD

Anyone have experience with the first two? ~$100 and ~$225 respectively. I love the Sage but not sure if it's worth twice the price as the Batson. Thanks

Just another idea - the new Sage Payload is getting good reviews and designed for exactly what you are looking for.  And it's $275.  I own a Sage salt HD, while it is a wonderful rod - it's not worth the money.  $500 for a blank is just dumb.

Cp,

Unless it totally floats your boat.

I often think about how much I might  have saved if I had found the right blanks right off the bat even if they were expensive ones.

Single hand for NE only needed one but purchased way too many to find the one I like.

mike