Paulie Herman

Need advice on Surf Rod set-up for NJ

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I want to give a family friend a surf setup and could use some advice.  Surf fishing is an area where my knowledge & experience is lacking.  I seldom surf fish and when I do, I'm using stuff I bought 30 years ago.  What's a good general purpose all around setup for fishing the NJ surf.  Rod length, reel size, etc. Any brands?  Back in the day I went daiwa rods & penn reels, but i have no preference.   

 

I know he fishes for what's ever on the move.  Stripers, blues, fluke, kings, anything available.  He's in the earlier part of the learning curve, but I've zero doubt he'll keep at it.  I don't want to gift the wrong thing.  Thanks.

 

I'll add, no doubt he'll fish off jetties, piers, whatever.  Looking for a good land based setup.

Edited by Paulie Herman
last line added.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Paulie Herman said:

I want to give a family friend a surf setup and could use some advice.  Surf fishing is an area where my knowledge & experience is lacking.  I seldom surf fish and when I do, I'm using stuff I bought 30 years ago.  What's a good general purpose all around setup for fishing the NJ surf.  Rod length, reel size, etc. Any brands?  Back in the day I went daiwa rods & penn reels, but i have no preference.   

 

I know he fishes for what's ever on the move.  Stripers, blues, fluke, kings, anything available.  He's in the earlier part of the learning curve, but I've zero doubt he'll keep at it.  I don't want to gift the wrong thing.  Thanks.

Paulie,

 

There are tons of options, but here are a few with a few different price ranges. Bear in mind there are 2 types of surf rods, plugging rods and bait/general purpose rods. Plugging rods excel at throwing lures, say 1-3 ounces. They will be lighter in physical weight and will bend differently (a more moderate action). Everyone has a budget, so I threw a lot at you between $120 and $350. 

 

Bait/general purpose rods tend to be stiffer and are better suited for throwing sinkers and bait, usually 2-6 ounces. If you own just one rod and intend on fishing bait, you'd want to go with the bait/general purpose rod. Throwing a clam and 5oz sinker on even the highest quality plugging rod is going to result in a snapped rod. The bait rod will be heavier in situations when throwing lures, but the rods below won't be too bad, as they are still graphite. 

 

Relatively Inexpensive (but quality) Reels:

Shimano Nexave 6000 Reel: $69.99

Penn Fierce III 5000: $89.99 

Tsunami Shield 5000: $109.99

Daiwa BG 4000  $119.99

Penn Spinfisher VI 5500 reel: $179.99

Shimano Spheros 5000: $199.99   

 

Rod Options:

Ande Tournament Surf Rod 10': $49.99 

Star Aerial 10' Med-Hvy - $79.99

Lamiglas Insane 10' MH - $119

Tsunami Airwave 10' XHvy - $140

St Croix Triumph 10'6 MH - $180

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pete,

Thanks for such a thoughtful reply. 

 

I'm sure he will do more than plugging.  Sounds like something with some backbone that will still let him throw some plugs or a bucktail with gulp is what I should be looking for.  I'd like to get it done in the neighborhood of $400.00 I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2019 at 4:18 PM, SnoozeFishing said:

If plugging, 9' Airwave Elite - Slammer 3 4500. Will handle anything off the surf and last. 

This sounds good. Think about going with the 9ft lighter set up OP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 10:08 AM, Paulie Herman said:

He's in the earlier part of the learning curve, but I've zero doubt he'll keep at it.  I don't want to gift the wrong thing.  Thanks.

You can go on Amazon and pick up a "Ugly Stick Surf Combo".

 

You can check out "RH custom rods" they're from Jersey.

 

"RH COMPOSITES OVER THE BAR SERIES BUILT RODS"

Edited by SandSpike1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

take a look at my topic I posted last year, very similar to yours here.

 

 

With that being said, I ended up getting a slammer 3 4500 and airwave elite 10'6". I think this is a good middle of road set up. It was great for plugs 1oz and up. I also liked bait fishing, and this was a great rod for that bc I typically threw out 3 or 4 oz sinker (some people say 8oz for the sinker, I found this to be completely unnecessary) and some squid or sand crabs. Even a 3 oz and bunker, it was fine.

 

My style has since changed a little. I've started to discover my own style of what I like to throw out, so I find myself going to a different rod many times. But again, for a solid middle of the rod set up, that is a great one. 10 6 can be slight cumbersome, but there were some times I did catch at the end of my cast which a 9 6 wouldnt have reached. I always went to this rod when it was windy and I really needed to get my stuff out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kyleeng said:

take a look at my topic I posted last year, very similar to yours here.

 

 

With that being said, I ended up getting a slammer 3 4500 and airwave elite 10'6". I think this is a good middle of road set up. It was great for plugs 1oz and up. I also liked bait fishing, and this was a great rod for that bc I typically threw out 3 or 4 oz sinker (some people say 8oz for the sinker, I found this to be completely unnecessary) and some squid or sand crabs. Even a 3 oz and bunker, it was fine.

 

My style has since changed a little. I've started to discover my own style of what I like to throw out, so I find myself going to a different rod many times. But again, for a solid middle of the rod set up, that is a great one. 10 6 can be slight cumbersome, but there were some times I did catch at the end of my cast which a 9 6 wouldnt have reached. I always went to this rod when it was windy and I really needed to get my stuff out there.

I threw 6oz two weeks ago and it totally washed right in, so there's times when you do need a ton of weight I learned which is why I have multiple rods. It's good you found something for multiple applications though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

I threw 6oz two weeks ago and it totally washed right in, so there's times when you do need a ton of weight I learned which is why I have multiple rods. It's good you found something for multiple applications though!

I will say when waves crash really hard on shore and there are heavy winds, 4oz was not enough. But personally, id deem those conditions unfishable. But I'm sure those are considered the best conditions to some.

Edited by kyleeng

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, kyleeng said:

I will say when waves crash really hard on shore and there are heavy winds, 4oz was not enough. But personally, id deem those conditions unfishable. But I'm sure those are considered the best conditions to some.

I guess it depends. I normally use 3oz in th surf and don't usually go below that. On a normal day that seems to hold, 4oz almost always seems to. I've never actually had to use five or six aside from the times that they wouldn't hold lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.