baldadonis2002

Can anyone recommend...

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Any websites, videos or resources around  wind direction, moon phase and tides effect on open beach surf.

Trying to gain a really good understanding of wind direction and how it effects waves and surf,   same for the correlation of moon phase and effects on wave \ surf     etc.

Appreciate any suggested links or videos, or youtube etc.

Start checking your wind direction tide and the weather buoys for swell period/direction before you go to the beach. Take you about 2 weeks and you’ll have a great understanding. Every stretch of beach is different .... water depth and bottom contour greatly effect what kind of wave you’ll get. What is nice rolling surf at robert moses may be large large beach slamming slabs at smiths point on the same day and a week later the bottom changes and its the opposite. 

Get on the surfing websites like the guy above me said. Theres just so much info on how waves develop and what conditions cause X type of wave. 

Remember the fish cam in the lighthouse, you could see the blitzes in turtles. As if the crowds weren’t bad enough. Glad it’s gone.

MAGIC SEAWEED . com !  Combined with NOAA marine forecast and buoy reports it gives both real time and forecasted conditions. Surfing and fishing!!

Posted (edited) · Report post

ditto on the fish weather application for phone.  Have it on my phone and I feel that it is pretty accurate. Fish mainly breezy and smith point beaches.

Edited by peetcon

On 10/21/2019 at 8:25 AM, baldadonis2002 said:

Any websites, videos or resources around  wind direction, moon phase and tides effect on open beach surf.

Trying to gain a really good understanding of wind direction and how it effects waves and surf,   same for the correlation of moon phase and effects on wave \ surf     etc.

Appreciate any suggested links or videos, or youtube etc.

For a deeper understanding and not day to day info read a book called:

How to Read Water: Clues and Patterns from Puddles to the Sea, Tristan Gooley

For day to day inshore fishing, I use the app Windfinder - it was originally designed for windsurfers and kite surfers but is now used by pretty much everybody I know that spends a lot of time on the water. This in addition to regular NOAA  forecasts.