Chipnice

Traction tracks

14 posts in this topic

Nice guy loaned me some plastic traction tracks the other day to help me out of a soft sand berm I sunk into. I’m looking to pick a pair up and was wondering if anyone could recommend a set in particular. They seen to get pretty expensive on some sites. The pair I was loaned didn’t seem like anything special but did the job

tia

Posted (edited) · Report post

Maxtrax are the ones that pretty much everyone copies now.  There's Tred's which are supposed to be good, but what ever you do stay away from the Smittybilt.

Edited by ne_dan

was thinking about these LITEWAY Recovery Traction Tracks to keep in the back of the truck. they're only about 25" long x 14" wide (4" high stacked on each other) so may be easy to keep in back.

The X Bull recovery tracks get the best reviews out of the cheap tracks. Maxtrax is definitely the best followed by Treads. There’s a YouTube video that compares X Bull and Maxtrax. 

7 hours ago, z-man said:

The X Bull recovery tracks get the best reviews out of the cheap tracks. Maxtrax is definitely the best followed by Treads. There’s a YouTube video that compares X Bull and Maxtrax. 

I have a set of the X-Bull I picked up from amazon for 70$$

I've used them a few times and the only issue I have noticed is that if you spin tire on it the nubs will get melty and booger up .  Otherwise I'd say they are pretty sturdy.

12 mins ago, gill said:

I have a set of the X-Bull I picked up from amazon for 70$$

I've used them a few times and the only issue I have noticed is that if you spin tire on it the nubs will get melty and booger up .  Otherwise I'd say they are pretty sturdy.

I watched the video. Look like a good deal. The ones the guy bailed me out with were about half the length.  But I think the longer ones make more sense

I have some no names I got on Amazon about 5 years back.  They are 8" wide and 40" long.  Work well although I have also used strips of heavy outdoor carpet which worked just as well.

you can get the x-bulls in any color you want off e b a y for <$50 shipped right to your door.  some threaded rod and washer and lock nuts and you have your mount.  i like nice things, but i would never spring for the high end traction boards + $150 mounting brackets.  

On 10/22/2019 at 7:03 AM, salt deficient said:

I made mine out of wood that fit perfectly into the back of my ZR2 blazer.  

Did the same using 1/2" plywood. 

The manufacturer's site for the Maxtrax II (currently in production) notes that they are recommended only for off-road or mud tires, and NOT for standard highway tires.

I think that has to do with the tread void  and gripping the track vs just spinning on top and melting the track.   While I’ve never bought these Plastic tracks, I’ve have used 2x8 covered in old carpet in the winter to get out of the snow.