brandonnoll

Doing something wrong?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Today from 9am to 1pm, I fished off of a pier and then a smaller dock for four hours and somehow caught/felt nothing? I know fishing can be a test of patience and resolve sometimes but I was expecting maybe a little action? I used this two hook rig I had and a porgy rig I bought from a tackle shop with no luck. I used squid strip bait bought from the Duffy Bait Shop and slowly pulled the bait in using the jerk rod thing to make the bait seem somewhat alive. Saw fish popping up in the water all around too.

Anything I'm doing wrong?

Welcome to fishing you did nothing wrong just sometimes the fish dont cooperate. Fished off a pier today for 3 hours in the rain and despite multiple hits to my rigs I only came up with a short black sea bass that was released in good health. Just because an area has water does not mean it has fish. Just have to keep trying fishing in NY is tough. Take notes and watch videos and go out more often. Some better fisherman on the forum will you some more answers. Have a good season.

Keep doing it until you figure out what works. If you know it is a spot that has fish. Or there is evidence of fish. Keep trying there until you figure out how to catch fish there. Then do it again at another spot. Or for another species, etc. 

I fished Saturday and caught 30 stripers. It was a blast. I went out today. Same spot, same tide. Nothing. 

Sometimes it be like that. 

Be aware of the tides and currents, and how they might be affeced by phase of the moon.  Try clams rather than squid.  Think about bottom structure (look around at low tide, fish the good-looking spots when the tide is higher).  

Ever since the winter flounder crashed, this has been a difficult time of year to catch bottom fish from shore with any regularity.  You just have to keep trying until you figure out what works.