Shag

Going nuts! Rotator Cuff Surgery

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Missing the entire fall run. Had surgery last week, five weeks to go in a sling and then what I’ve been told a long PT session for close to a year. Any positive experience or advice beyond the surgeons. Any hints on replacing hooks with one hand? Ugh!

Hang in there Pete. While I've ben lucky enough to never have a serious issue with a shoulder, I've lost more than a couple seasons to knees, elbows, and other such. 

Re-hab can be monotonous, but is the most important thing you can do. Once you lose that range of motion, ya can never get it back.

Had shoulder rotator cuff injury caused by year before last fall season spin fishing for albies. Constant reeling in, fast, daily, every day for weeks. Let the hurt/weakness go unheeded for 10 mos. or so. Never got better. Had Xrays/MRI, confirmed "tear" and began P/T to address not only range of motion which was very poor but Xtreme lifting strength lack in that arm. 

Due to my age, ortho doc advised against surgery but did advise P/T which made a positive difference in strength of arm plus range of motion. I can now fish. 

During my P/T for my shoulder rotator cuff injury, I was able to witness two patients who had had rotator cuff surgery. Yes, wearing slings with family/friends driving them to P/T. With their P/T, they had made amazing progress and if you had been one of them, you would definitely be looking forward to some good fishing, once discharged from your P/T. I'd advise you to be very diligent in your P/T appointments, work very hard on your "at home" exercises, and, yes, you will get back to where you were. Good luck to you. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had the surgery in 2013. In 5 months was able to fish. Took 13 months to be 100%. A lot of physical therapy. The last 3 months I really beat the daylights out of it in the gym and the out come was GREAT. I had to stop fishing in 2013 from the pain, had the surgery November and in late April 2014 fished again. In 2015 I was 100%. Have friends who had the same surgery, basically the same thing, feels good in 6 months, but 100% in a year or so. Ice was my friend for some time after the surgery. Then the PT, cannot overemphasize how important it was.

Good luck with it!

Edited by Surfratiam

I had a tear in my rotator and labrum. Took a year before 100% strength back. Take it easy, wear the sling and do the exercises. Looking at a replacement now due to arthritis in joint. Softer rod will be your friend... I was 53 on my last shoulder surgery  

agree with what was said about ice X1000

I had rotator cuff and labrum repair at the same time. I bottom fished within 3 months of surgery, but I wasn't casting until like 5-6. Progress is different for everyone, listen to your PT and ortho. 

2 hours ago, Shaky said:

Geez, suck it up. :waah:

I'll be up in two weeks for a wedding, will be in your neighborhood fourth and fifth. Let's compare scars

Always warm and fuzzy!  I’ll see if we need milk. Where’s Mike?

14 mins ago, Shag said:

Always warm and fuzzy!  I’ll see if we need milk. Where’s Mike?

Too old to change. It’s part of my charm. 

Haven’t talked to Mike in years. I stay in touch with Vic, will probably do lunch that Tuesday and fly home Wednesday. 

Hang in there, My brother had the same surgery he said that the healing was more painful and took longer than his bi pass but after a year he was back casting those big rods ,he's65 now. goodluck.  Hope you get a good lookin pt to motivate you from going to therapy.:hooked:

12 hours ago, Shag said:

Missing the entire fall run. Had surgery last week, five weeks to go in a sling and then what I’ve been told a long PT session for close to a year. Any positive experience or advice beyond the surgeons. Any hints on replacing hooks with one hand? Ugh!

I had a spinal fusion in January,  time goes by quickly.  I had buddies pick me up for breakfast and take me on rides. My wife didn't want me to cast. I started for trout with an ultra light and worked my way up. I am back to work and healed up. 

I did a lot of walking. 

You will get thru it.

Speedy recovery shag

When you are in the middle of rehab, it sucks. I am 5 months post op tomorrow from total knee replacement. Diligent with PT and ice. Life and work get put on semi hold.… Biggest problem was between my ears. I have now accepted that I got the local instead of the express I was hoping for in terms of recovery. Longest summer of my life. But everyone heals differently. Plus my one hour scheduled surgery went almost two and a half hours.... He had to clean up a lot of scar tissue etc from five previous surgeries.