flyrodder44

Fly Fishing Guides in Islamorada

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hello All:  My family wants to take me to Islamorada for a few days in April of fly fishing for my 75th.  Anyone out here have any suggestions as to where to stay, guides, days of the week to book, etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Tight lines.

FR.

I fished with Todd Ziels out of Marathon and had a great day out on the water with him.  I also talked to strip strike charters and talked to Derrick Rust.  Both of them were great to talked to also.

Bud and Mary's marina offer many good guides. I've taken 3. Jon johnason Rick stanzak forgot the 3rd one. He was a young guy. Jon was the best. He was everything a guide should be! He was polite, entertaining and the most knowledgeable fishermen I've met. 

My lodging recommendation is the edgewater lodge. Beautiful sunsets free kayaks and rooms facing the water with a walk out dock.Great fish too caught a 36" snook wade fishing with doa shrimp lure Bayveiw hotel on counch key isn't as pretty but they have deals on lodging and "bump and jump boats"rental packages. I think i got a room and a boat for 200 a day for a week.

Look for a town house on duck key. There more expensive, but if you look hard you might be able to get one for about 250 a night. They all can sleep alot of people too. Most are 2 bedrooms. If you want to go to the main resort you make a call to the staff and they pick you up in a golf cart and bring you there. Good fishing  in little brishe area leading to tbe island.

Cheeca Lodge is very nice was just down this April.  AirBnb may be better for a family though if you'd like to stay under one roof

Posted (edited) · Report post

Agree ! I like the way Bud n Mary’s handled their business. A lot to choose from and options where to fish ( weather ) was very good . My son & I went there a few times . Hotel / Motel accommodations depends how much you want to spend. 

Edited by Hook I

Bou Bosso if he isn't booked. Had a great trip with him last  year fishing, runs out of Angler House Marina in Islamorda. I would give him a call and if he is booked I would 100% trust his recommendation. Just a really good guy. You def should try to book a guide asap, the goods ones are booked pretty far in advance. Cheecha and Islander hotels were very nice, past few years we have rented a cottage at White Gate court. Beginning of April still can bring hard NE winds which would make a tarpon trip tough but that still leaves you to fish the backcountry where you will be protected from the winds.

Thanks KML and LH:  We may move our trip to May.  Any info on the availability of the big three during that month?  The winds should be manageable by then.

I appreciate any and all info on this issue.  Thanks, in advance.

As long as it stays warm may is a prime month for tarpon. Permit are offshore to spawn, but you could still see a few on the flats. Bones making a comeback in Islamorada, but not the size class 10+ yrs ago. I’d target poons

On 11/9/2019 at 9:41 AM, triumph19 said:

As long as it stays warm may is a prime month for tarpon. Permit are offshore to spawn, but you could still see a few on the flats. Bones making a comeback in Islamorada, but not the size class 10+ yrs ago. I’d target poons

Agree with above, only thing I’ll add is a good guide will tell you what your best bet will be the day before your trip based on the weather.