Marcel_Karssies

Germany, Oct. 19th.

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

As my holiday in Florida came to an end I had already planned the next fishing outing at the mill pool.
When my plane from Fort Myers arrived in Atlanta at the domestic gate my connecting
flight to Amsterdam was already boarding.
I made it ASAP through the terminal was just in time at the gate ... my luggage however dit not made it on time.

The flight left at 20.00 hrs in the evening, arrival next morning aroud 10.00 hrs in the morning in Amsterdam.

When I finally arrived at home in the afternoon I gathered my freshwater setup for the next day fishing.

I was not early up the next morning but at least I made it to the mill pool in the afternoon.

The weather was dull and rainy just as you would expect it in fall.
Trout season ended on oct. 20th and then the mill pool would be closed again for a full year
untill the end of September.

As I still had a fast sinking polyleader on the reel my first attempt to catch some fish was to

drag a streamer through the pool.
I was pretty confident I would get a hit from the one or the other left over trout but nada.

Even with the nymph I could not get any fish to bite which was a bit strange.

I checked the outflow of the mill pool and carefully fished the next deeper spot and finally

got into a brown trout.

I went back to the mill pool and after many casts I had another brown trout plus a small roach.
I wondered why the fish where not biting as normally you would have enough hits of
the dace and roach on the fly.

I checked out various spots at various depths in the pool but no fish to be had.

No fish to be seen but I did spot some flies in the bushes which looked like they

where recently dropped there, barbless flies so they went directly in my fly box.

Since I had time on my hand I figured it was time to experiment.
The weir off the mill was set back a distance from the pool.
The water would fall on a concrete slab where the depth was maybe 5 inches or more.

For some reason trout would jump up on that concrete slab from the pool and lie just under the

weir.

I had not spotted any fish but when I dropped a nymph in the whitewater I saw that a trout
went for the strike indicator.

I tied on one of the found flies which was a fluo green nymph with a red metallic bead.

After several casts I had a solid hookup and fought the fish and forced it to move off of the

concrete slab into the mill pool.

Turned out to be a nice rainbow trout with good colors.

Near sunset I fished the end of the mill pool and allthough I spotted several trout my nymphs
where left untouched.

There was one pretty big trout moving in the shallows but again no show on the fly.

With no action and fading daylight I figured I could better spend my time at the pub

for dinner so that was the trout season for me.

Despite the lack of bites still a pretty good day with three trout caught.

P1010041.JPG

P1010042.JPG

P1010044.JPG

P1010045.JPG

P1010049.JPG

P1010050.JPG

P1010051.JPG

P1010055.JPG

P1010056.JPG

P1010057.JPG

P1010059.JPG

P1010060.JPG

P1010062.JPG

P1010066.JPG

24 mins ago, Marcel_Karssies said:

As my holiday in Florida came to an end I had already planned the next fishing outing at the mill pool.
When my plane from Fort Myers arrived in Atlanta at the domestic gate my connecting
flight to Amsterdam was already boarding.
I made it ASAP through the terminal was just in time at the gate ... my luggage however dit not made it on time.

The flight left at 20.00 hrs in the evening, arrival next morning aroud 10.00 hrs in the morning in Amsterdam.

When I finally arrived at home in the afternoon I gathered my freshwater setup for the next day fishing.

I was not early up the next morning but at least I made it to the mill pool in the afternoon.

The weather was dull and rainy just as you would expect it in fall.
Trout season ended on oct. 20th and then the mill pool would be closed again for a full year
untill the end of September.

As I still had a fast sinking polyleader on the reel my first attempt to catch some fish was to

drag a streamer through the pool.
I was pretty confident I would get a hit from the one or the other left over trout but nada.

Even with the nymph I could not get any fish to bite which was a bit strange.

I checked the outflow of the mill pool and carefully fished the next deeper spot and finally

got into a brown trout.

I went back to the mill pool and after many casts I had another brown trout plus a small roach.
I wondered why the fish where not biting as normally you would have enough hits of
the dace and roach on the fly.

I checked out various spots at various depths in the pool but no fish to be had.

No fish to be seen but I did spot some flies in the bushes which looked like they

where recently dropped there, barbless flies so they went directly in my fly box.

Since I had time on my hand I figured it was time to experiment.
The weir off the mill was set back a distance from the pool.
The water would fall on a concrete slab where the depth was maybe 5 inches or more.

For some reason trout would jump up on that concrete slab from the pool and lie just under the

weir.

I had not spotted any fish but when I dropped a nymph in the whitewater I saw that a trout
went for the strike indicator.

I tied on one of the found flies which was a fluo green nymph with a red metallic bead.

After several casts I had a solid hookup and fought the fish and forced it to move off of the

concrete slab into the mill pool.

Turned out to be a nice rainbow trout with good colors.

Near sunset I fished the end of the mill pool and allthough I spotted several trout my nymphs
where left untouched.

There was one pretty big trout moving in the shallows but again no show on the fly.

With no action and fading daylight I figured I could better spend my time at the pub

for dinner so that was the trout season for me.

Despite the lack of bites still a pretty good day with three trout caught.

P1010041.JPG

P1010042.JPG

P1010044.JPG

P1010045.JPG

P1010049.JPG

P1010050.JPG

P1010051.JPG

P1010055.JPG

P1010056.JPG

P1010057.JPG

P1010059.JPG

P1010060.JPG