GilV

Any recommendations for a good set of fly tying scissors?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Looking for a recommendation for a good scissor, that is sharp, stays sharp and has fine tips. I tie a lot and always used inexpensive scissors. They have done their job over the years, but I would like to get a pair of quality scissors to try.

Thanks

Gil

7 mins ago, GilV said:

Looking for a recommendation for a good scissor, that is sharp, stays sharp and has fine tips. I tie a lot and always used inexpensive scissors. They have done their job over the years, but I would like to get a pair of quality scissors to try.

Thanks

Gil

Kershaw Skeeter II

I tie a lot of bucktail and deer hair and the type of scissors used to cut braided fishing line have worked well for me.

I rarely tie smaller than a #4 and 3/0-5/0 is more typical so fine points are a moot point.

Trout fishing = child molestation to me unless they weigh over 3-4 lbs.

I've used a lot of different scissors over the years. Some have been better than others. The last 3 pairs that I've bought have been Dr Slick Tungsten Carbide and they've been the best I've used so far.

I bought 3 pairs, because they make 3 lengths. After trying the first pair, which was 3 1/2" long, I liked them so much I bought a pair of 4" and a pair of 4 1/2". 

Pretty much covers all the tying I need to do with them. 

The best that I have used are surgical quality iris scissors. Somewhat unobtainable to your average person. I have several pairs. Don't ask what the gold ones cost... 

IMG_7048.jpeg

IMG_7047.jpeg

IMG_7046.jpeg

IMG_7045.jpeg

IMG_7044.jpeg

IMG_7049.jpeg

Take the scissors you have already and send them out to Shear Integrity in NYC and get them sharpened.   They will sharpen and oil and they will be better than new.   Worth about the $15 per pair for sharpening.   They do awesome work.

On 10/20/2019 at 5:07 AM, GilV said:

Thanks

Gil

FWIW, if you tie with a lot of synthetic materials, you’re scissors will take a beating.

i have recently started using a pair of 3-4 inch fiskars fine point scissors I found in the craft section of Wally World.   10 bucks, fits the hand really well, precise and sharp as heck.

i like fine tools as well- but i don’t know of too many high end scissors that hold up to the abuse  

Loon tool kit is on sale for $45.00 right now.  Two nice pairs of scissors, bobbin, dubbing brush, whip finisher, dubbing loop tool..  Scissors are over $20 apiece.

I just bought a pair of Klein Tools electricians scissors for bucktail and EP fibers - so far very impressed - very sharp and designed for cutting wires so it should hold its edge. Also, the the blade is serrated.  Made in the USA and under 20.00.  They make a number of  Embroidery Scissors that should fill your needs. I am only going on my experience with the electricians scissors, but if the quality is the same, you should have no problem. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use these. Sharp, tough and you can keep them in your hand the entire time. Not great for real tiny cuts but for $13 can't beat them

Gingher G-TNKE Knife Edge Thread Nippers, 4.5 Inch

Edited by Jr
Forgot to add the name