Whens the last time you hunted bushytails?

Rate this topic

55555s

I hunted tree rats  for many years except for the last 5 years. Rally have not hunted anything for the last 5 years. But I still get my license every year. Reading these post, makes me want to go after bushy tails. Might do it first Saturday  in Nov, if I don't go fishing. Love to eat the tree rats too.:laugh:

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

I go to muzzleloader blackpowder shoots pretty often.

I most used 22 is a CZ452 ultra lux with 26' barrel and open sights.....

I use a marlin bolt action 971T with MJT 90 lyman peep sight.  

I recently picked up a savage FVT MK1 with factory peep sight.

I also have a lyman 54 cal LH flintlock with lyman 57 peep sight.

MY glenfield model 30 has a lyman peep sight too.

Been a few years. Gotta get out the Gamo so I don't piss off the neighbors. 

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

19 hours ago, salt deficient said:

I go to muzzleloader blackpowder shoots pretty often.

I want one of those .32 caliber muzzleloaders. Awesome squirrel guns apparently. 

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

When I was a boy we hunted either squirrels or quail - the only deer were deep in the swamps and you needed a pack of deer hounds to run them out.  We (my Dad, uncle, and brothers) used 22 LR or shotguns to take them.  I haven’t been since the late 1960’s but this thread has me thinking it over!  OH

When I discovered what the modern air rifles were capable of doing, I did some research and selected an FX Royale 400 in .22 cal, matched with a large Hawke scope. Barrel is rifled on the outside. Sitting in a hide in a good patch of live oaks just about anywhere in my area will yield a limit most mornings. Quiet still days are best for me.3A870DAB-642E-4740-BCD5-EA5DE51AD5DD.jpeg.76edfa79ebc0777e4c1181d8fa90b2c2.jpeg

These are pictures from the net, my scope is much larger. I had always been a really good shot, but it was surprising what this rifle taught me. It requires skill to make a reliable head shot at 80 yards. If I do my part, the squirrel sits tight, and the wind is light, it is very satisfying to do. 

I like to use a call when things are slow. The rubber bellows thing works for me. I also like to blow a crow call when I am hunting. If you have not tried a modern air rifle you are missing out on some real fun. Mine will hit quarters at 100 yards every other from a rest. Pellet quality is the issue for most misses.

Down here they get hunted a lot via kayak.  Most of the big lakes (flood control reservoirs) are ACOE owned and the woodlands surrounding them are undeveloped and open for public hunting. Float the shorelines and blast away with the scattergun.  Kind of a different take on the game.

8 hours ago, Slacker said:

Down here they get hunted a lot via kayak.  Most of the big lakes (flood control reservoirs) are ACOE owned and the woodlands surrounding them are undeveloped and open for public hunting. Float the shorelines and blast away with the scattergun.  Kind of a different take on the game.

A very different take!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2019 at 8:50 AM, jkrock said:

Interesting with the pennies...They used to say you could cup a quarter in the palm of your hand and strike/scratch it with the edge of another quarter to call squirrels too

Yup.  If you forget and leave the quarters in the truck, two brass shotgun shells do the same thing. 

"all of jase's posts are valid." -Otter