55555s

Whens the last time you hunted bushytails?

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

I took the boys out for some squirrel hunting today.   They are taking their hunter ed course soon and i figured it'd be a good chance to go over some things.  

There is something about walking a beech/oak forest trail in the fall.   Brought the s/s, which is a 12g, but i used .410 inserts because... well because!

We also found a really good creek chub stream which served as a nice pit stop of cane pole fishing along the way.  

Connected on one squirrel, and the boys finished the walk back having a blast with tree branch sword fights.  

About as close to actually being 12 again as you can get.   

Life is good, indeed.

Loved squirrel hunting when I was young, not so much any more.  They are hard to skin with one good hand, however I do shoot them through the tip of the tail, when they are on the bird feeder.  Makes them go crazy, and they don't come back for a couple weeks. 

My son was 12 the last time I hunted them, he's now 40. Was trying to get enough for a Brunswick stew to bring to hunting camp up north. I was using my .22 wheel gun, my son had a rifle. First shot first kill. Then went through 2 boxes of .22's and never killed another.:banghd: Finally brought out the shotgun to get enough for the Brunswick stew.

Hadn't hunted for them in 20 years. Last year me and my boys14 and 11 now).  did a few trips. We bagged a bunch. Was fun.  No stress as you didn't have to sit still for hours on end.  Didn't have to worry about scent control.  Lol. 

It's best to skin them when freshly killed.  We use the method where you make a small cut above tail bone. Step on tail and pull up by it's legs.  Not easy but it's effective. Bunch of videos on utube. 

Went a couple of times last year.  Not much luck though.  My buddy and I are going to try a different spot this year to see if we can get a few.   Do wish there were fox squirrels in eastern PA.  A lot more meat on those buggers.   I like a Brunswick stew, but they're not bad BBQ'd.  

1 hour ago, LBI SurfRat said:

Hadn't hunted for them in 20 years. Last year me and my boys14 and 11 now).  did a few trips. We bagged a bunch. Was fun.  No stress as you didn't have to sit still for hours on end.  Didn't have to worry about scent control.  Lol. 

It's best to skin them when freshly killed.  We use the method where you make a small cut above tail bone. Step on tail and pull up by it's legs.  Not easy but it's effective. Bunch of videos on utube. 

I will try that.  I dress them as I would a deer, only in miniature version obviously.   

Thanks

10 mins ago, Philly said:

Went a couple of times last year.  Not much luck though.  My buddy and I are going to try a different spot this year to see if we can get a few.   Do wish there were fox squirrels in eastern PA.  A lot more meat on those buggers.   I like a Brunswick stew, but they're not bad BBQ'd.  

Fox sqrls would be cool.  

I know one of the reasons we stopped hunting them, among several, was low amount of meat per critter & toughness of meat unless in a stew.  

Last time I hunted them, I was on a WMA. APPARENTLY, my squirrel hunting interfered with the deer runners in their jacked up 4x4’s.  I guess the shots disturbed the dogs. Haven’t been back. Not worth facing a band of angry red necks with guns.