RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 20 - Oct 27

Rate this topic

Capt.Castafly

3 mins ago, SlackTideBri said:

Gannets out front this morning. Funny how some guys think its a sign of impending doom.

I think it means some shots at larger fish later in the season, unfort where and when the herring come ashore is a guessing game

^^ I didnt even notice it didnt get censored, I guess anal is acceptable in SOL....

16 hours ago, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

Quick outing after work today; made a good judgement call after looking at the hard NE blow report and knew it was time to pitch the white bucktail. Fished an hour at most had a dozen keeper sized fish. 

FEA4CEF3-070D-42CC-B3FF-A25D4712DD5B.jpeg

FE9E5EB3-FEDB-4950-8AAA-29E17F3BCCAE.jpeg

Yeah the bigger/fatter keepers have been a night bite instance for me at least.

On 10/21/2019 at 4:55 AM, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

Got into a great couple night bites this past couple of evenings. Thursday - Sat hitting the last remaining 1.5-2hrs of the incoming PM high. Perching myself up on one of my favorite fall October boulder fields for the turn around and 3/4 of the outgoing resulting in a handful of fish over 15lbs; lost an easy 30lb fish on a poor hook-set on a custom metal lip.  Abundance of large silversides filling the general area and the fish wanted nothing but painfully slow retrieves.  But once dialed in it made all the difference; slow rolling a custom white jointed metal lip was getting all the bigger girls hungry.  A buddy and I were having more fun watching the waking action in the rising moon and watching fish come up underneath the swimmer and "gulping" under it then anything else.  All in all great weekends worth of fishing.  Seems to be that time of year again where if you aren't out there fishing throughout the night your odds of getting into the bigger fish aren't going to happen.  With the new moon on Saturday and the high-tide coinciding with my real life obligations its looking like I will be leaving a couple Halloween Parties early to gear up and set up shop along the SE boulder fields of SoCo. 

maybe you should change your name to fish whisperer 

Any one here fishing in the bay? Was out on the boat last Saturday. Came around the corner into Bristol Harbor and thousands of birds were working the water. Throwing tins at them produced fish on every cast. Some schoolies with a couple of 32" mixed in. Just lots of fun on a nice day

Sunday went out front off Lands End. Trolled up a few nice stripers in the afternoon and one monster bluefish

Was thinking of trying up in the Providence River this weekend

Caught the last of the light this evening fishing rips along Beavertail.  The weather was disagreeable for bucketteers, so had plenty of room.  Fished some nice whitewater with 9 sub keepers in about 30 min.  Didn't really get into them till I put on a peanut 1.5oz Hogy paddle tail.  They were crushing it.  Was fishing a medium light casting rod with a Daiwa Coastal 200 TWS.  Just a fun and easy setup to fish, might be my new favorite (for the right conditions.)  

Every Sunrise A Victory

Your patriotism is not determined by the size of your flag or how vigorously you wave it in someone's face.  Any as$hole can fly a flag.

Mid-bay.  Morning kayak trip to an area that has produced well at this time of year in the past (dawn, dropping tide, small swell) (not these conditions: rain, variable wind to 5kt).  Picked up a couple smalls in shallow water, nothing in deep water.  No bait that I could see.  There was a seal in the area. 

Same song and dance: find the bait, find the fish.  I'm restricted to spots that are close to my route to work, so I'm working off logbooks.   I also messed up in the dark and took the wrong kayak rod (8', reel needs rebuild, spooled with 15lb mono), so I was fighting that all morning.

The future is here, and it's stupid - the_tin_squid

User rolm will now be known as Filthy Casual