Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 20 - Oct 27

Rate this topic

109 posts in this topic

This fish report blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. This could benefit those greatly who use this RI forum frequently.

The premise is to gather together all reports into one common portal, making it for easy access and reporting, all in one place. 

This is the second year trying this approach to this type of journal. Last year had great participation. 

Now it's up to you to post your success or skunks.   Either way let us know. It all helps us be directed to better fishing conditions. 

Fresh, factual information is the best Intel we have for a better successful fishing in the future.   

Keep those reports coming regardless of good or bad. We'd like to hear. 

Another major blow past us again this week with Westerly RI reported up to 75 mph winds. Wow!

This has been the norm now for the past four seasons. I guess we better get use to it. It seems more consistent than a passing trend. 

So far not to many signs of late fall. Haven't seen may sea duck, eider around. Usually by now they are rafting in places like the middle wall.

Someone mentioned a few gannets.    

I was out before sunrise yesterday morning in SoCo. Nothing happening at sunrise on the beach. No sign of bait in close but birds were working about a mile out. Moved to a rocky spot and got into some small fish until they moved on. Water was clean. I couldnt tell what they were feeding on. They were hitting topwater. Tried a few other spots but found nothing. 

(I know, overlap from last report)

Kayaked out front yesterday morning.  Dropping tide all night, turned at dawn, I was looking for a blitz.  Picked up a couple of fish just around keeper at false dawn.  Dawn blitzing never happened, just scattered fish popping up for a few minutes here and there.  I think I caught more fish trolling than casting.  Ended up with around 10-12 fish (one bluefish) with one rubber shad that came back in half.  The only bait I saw was anchovies/rait bait under 2".  One fish puked but it was an unidentifiable mush.  Chasing birds took me about 500-700m out.  Off the water by 9am.

Returned late in the day for the afternoon drop with my son.  Unfortunately the 6-8mph SSE wind combined with the SE swell to make a wicked chop with 2-3' mixed in and about a 3sec period.  I was too worried about him on a 7' kayak, and we ran for shore almost as soon as we left the breachway.  He took a half-dozen casts and said he was getting bumped, but nothing landed.  The upside is that my 11 year-old son made his first kayak rough-water surf landing flawlessly.  He's well on his way to making stupid kayak-outing choices just like his father. 

Besides that, there were pods of birds working 300-500m offshore, but nothing in close.

Got into a great couple night bites this past couple of evenings. Thursday - Sat hitting the last remaining 1.5-2hrs of the incoming PM high. Perching myself up on one of my favorite fall October boulder fields for the turn around and 3/4 of the outgoing resulting in a handful of fish over 15lbs; lost an easy 30lb fish on a poor hook-set on a custom metal lip.  Abundance of large silversides filling the general area and the fish wanted nothing but painfully slow retrieves.  But once dialed in it made all the difference; slow rolling a custom white jointed metal lip was getting all the bigger girls hungry.  A buddy and I were having more fun watching the waking action in the rising moon and watching fish come up underneath the swimmer and "gulping" under it then anything else.  All in all great weekends worth of fishing.  Seems to be that time of year again where if you aren't out there fishing throughout the night your odds of getting into the bigger fish aren't going to happen.  With the new moon on Saturday and the high-tide coinciding with my real life obligations its looking like I will be leaving a couple Halloween Parties early to gear up and set up shop along the SE boulder fields of SoCo. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Tried in vain to score one last funny fish for the season, outing turned into a schoolie bass fest - with a sprinkling of small bluefish and hickory shad thrown in for good measure (it was the same story on Sat and Sun). Not sure if it's over though - water was still a bit murky, but water temps were still suitable for at least bonito

Edited by albacized

Lots of schoolies around last pm in 2 different spots.  Wind and conditions were great last pm.  Couple close to keeper, fish wanted different things in different spots.  I agree that fish are wanting a slower and slower retrieve.  

3 hours ago, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

Got into a great couple night bites this past couple of evenings. Thursday - Sat hitting the last remaining 1.5-2hrs of the incoming PM high. Perching myself up on one of my favorite fall October boulder fields for the turn around and 3/4 of the outgoing resulting in a handful of fish over 15lbs; lost an easy 30lb fish on a poor hook-set on a custom metal lip.  Abundance of large silversides filling the general area and the fish wanted nothing but painfully slow retrieves.  But once dialed in it made all the difference; slow rolling a custom white jointed metal lip was getting all the bigger girls hungry.  A buddy and I were having more fun watching the waking action in the rising moon and watching fish come up underneath the swimmer and "gulping" under it then anything else.  All in all great weekends worth of fishing.  Seems to be that time of year again where if you aren't out there fishing throughout the night your odds of getting into the bigger fish aren't going to happen.  With the new moon on Saturday and the high-tide coinciding with my real life obligations its looking like I will be leaving a couple Halloween Parties early to gear up and set up shop along the SE boulder fields of SoCo. 

Nice work on the quality fish.  The new moon is Sunday Oct 27th... :)

35 mins ago, frezzy said:

Nice work on the quality fish.  The new moon is Sunday Oct 27th... :)

Yeah I've always had better outcomes the day before and day after a new moon. Thats why im excited for Saturdays PM tide :naughty:

5 hours ago, albacized said:

Tried in vain to score one last funny fish for the season, outing turned into a schoolie bass fest - with a sprinkling of small bluefish and hickory shad thrown in for good measure (it was the same story on Sat and Sun). Not sure if it's over though - water was still a bit murky, but water temps were still suitable for at least bonito

pretty sure i saw small pod of bones come through for a few minutes sunday, kayak, mouth of bay area.  no catch tho so can't confirm!  would really love to get one more lollllll...

Good qty last nite, if not quality. if you just want a tite line regardless of size, get out there. some mullet still around too. 

5 hours ago, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

Heard they make for great live bait; string one up on a 5-6/0 and hold on. lol:naughty:

i use those for pike. :p

Local bait guy caught a bass at block island that had a huge rat in it. 

Was out Sunday sunrise to sunset on the boat. Landed over a hundred bass mid bay between 2 guys, nothing over 32". Better fish came at the end of the night. Left fish still breaking. Tons of bait in the cut where I launched on the way in.