At Least There's TOG'S

Rate this topic

epanzella

On 10/23/2019 at 0:38 PM, PaulS said:

gonna try from the yak Thursday.  Buddy has been saying he has been doing better w/Asian crabs vs green crabs.  Anyone have any help for this novice?

Asians are free and plentiful under every low tide rock in LIS.

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, notime said:

Starting to get cold.  Losing this weekend to family stuff kinda sucked.  Going out Friday and of course it will be below freezing and windy.    

I don’t think you missed much this weekend. I was out today and it was much windier and rougher seas than forecast. We fished 6 hours for 3 keepers between 2 of us. It was a struggle to find keepers again.  Went through almost a quarter bushel of crabs.  Water is still pretty warm, 60 degrees. 

2 mins ago, z-man said:

I don’t think you missed much this weekend. I was out today and it was much windier and rougher seas than forecast. We fished 6 hours for 3 keepers between 2 of us. It was a struggle to find keepers again.  Went through almost a quarter bushel of crabs.  Water is still pretty warm, 60 degrees. 

Thats a lot of effort and crabs.    Makes me feel a little better.   Regarding the crabs, Lots of shorts?

7 mins ago, notime said:

Thats a lot of effort and crabs.    Makes me feel a little better.   Regarding the crabs, Lots of shorts?

Yes there were a lot of shorts and a lot of light bites/stolen bait. The other boats around seemed to be doing about the same as us.  Also no bird or striper activity around. 

Got them good on Saturday morning in 15'-20' on the bottom of the outgoing tide. Bite shut off like a light once the tide went slack. Worked around for another 2hrs and only managed a few more. Biggest fish was 6lbs with 9 keepers among 2 men (only kept 5 total).

Sunday got out later in the day and bite was not as hot as Sunday. Saw birds working a near by flat and was reluctant to pull off anchor. Have been kicking myself ever since because toggin didn't about to much.

Absolutely obliterated the tog on Saturday.  Fished the last two of the outgoing and all 6 of the incoming.  Three different wrecks, Western Sound.  anywhere from 30' to 70'.  Greenies only.  They were crushing the baits before they hit the bottom at one point!  Could not ask for a better day weather wise for Nov - fishing in T-shirt, NO wind, light tides.  Had over 40 keepers up to 5.5 lbs.  Only reason we moved twice was to try and find bigger fish. 

On the way in, there was a half acre of stripers blitzing with birds everywhere.  Without a doubt, top 3 fishing day of all time (no pics since I do not know how to delete the geo tags, I was fishing on a friends boat)

Hope the blast of cold later this week does not slow things down too much

7 hours ago, Sandflee said:

Lots of people target them now, and unfortunately they are a slow growing fish, I think an 8lb tog is around 20 years old

And every weekend since the opener has seen good weather, much different from last year. 

These fish are getting pounded this year for sure.

16 hours ago, buddha162 said:

And every weekend since the opener has seen good weather, much different from last year. 

These fish are getting pounded this year for sure.

I think that is why I’m having trouble finding keepers. The keepers probably get cleaned out on Saturday and I have been only able to get out on a Monday and Sunday.  Plus there’s no “secret” spots anymore now that almost everyone has either GPS on their depth finder or Navionics on their phone. 

1 hour ago, z-man said:

I think that is why I’m having trouble finding keepers. The keepers probably get cleaned out on Saturday and I have been only able to get out on a Monday and Sunday.  Plus there’s no “secret” spots anymore now that almost everyone has either GPS on their depth finder or Navionics on their phone. 

You should see all the boats Sat, lined up on all the popular reefs  and ledges.

IMO, you do better on small isolated rock piles than on big structure.

We did good fishing one little rock pile away  from the fleet.

I think tog like the edges, not necessarily up on top of a big structure.

7 hours ago, z-man said:

Even in my very pressured waters of extreme western sound...there are tons of virgin pieces to explore. It really doesn't pay to fish among the fleet if you can help it. 

With a kayak you can go over very shallow stuff esp during the early season when they first start trickling in, with pedals you can hover over any random rock and probe it with a jig. That might be the future for boaters too, as more and more people get trolling motors with spot lock feature. 

The way the fishery is going I don't think you can just anchor up on community reefs and expect to limit out.