epanzella

At Least There's TOG'S

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Visited one of my old LIS tog spots last week after a 2 year layoff for new knees. I was glad to see they were waiting for me. After a few moves to get right on the spot the greenies were flying out of the boat. Only 3 keepers for two guys but the action was non stop all afternoon. I can't believe how many 15 inch fish we caught. It's as if they know the limit and grind their tails on the rocks to stay at 15!  Pic below is our "garbage can" fish box! 

black fish 3 keepers 10-15-2019.jpg

Edited by epanzella

1 hour ago, notime said:

I was out on the holiday and had same experience though most of my shorts were closer to 10”.    Welcome back.  

thx

Ed P

3 hours ago, rubberlips said:

nice job gettin on them! 

Thx. Blacks are funny, 25 feet from the hole and it's like fishing in the desert.

crazy how many boats were anchored up on the popular tog spots this weekend.  looked like they were waiting for a fireworks show to start.

2 hours ago, EBHarvey said:

crazy how many boats were anchored up on the popular tog spots this weekend.  looked like they were waiting for a fireworks show to start.

I noticed that last weekend. All the good spots were taken. It’s crazy how many people are fishing for tog now. Just a few years ago there was hardly anyone fishing for them.

4 mins ago, z-man said:

I noticed that last weekend. All the good spots were taken. It’s crazy how many people are fishing for tog now. Just a few years ago there was hardly anyone fishing for them.

The blue and striper fishery has been way below par so people turn to Togs.

I was on a tog party boat over the weekend. Kind of depressing to see a packed boat with lot of people catching their rec limit for the day and taking it home. Imagine that 7X a week. Tautog fishery might not be in existence due to it's gaining popularity the way it's been going. And that's just on the rec side of things.

I have mixed feeling about to the good Tog fishing.  I'm happy as hell it's good,but I fear we are now moving on to the next fish to go after.  It won't take long if all the fishing efforts concentrates on this fish good fish stocks it won"t last long. Hope I'm wrong..  BTW I don't fish for Tog..

gonna try from the yak Thursday.  Buddy has been saying he has been doing better w/Asian crabs vs green crabs.  Anyone have any help for this novice?

6 hours ago, PaulS said:

gonna try from the yak Thursday.  Buddy has been saying he has been doing better w/Asian crabs vs green crabs.  Anyone have any help for this novice?

They don’t care, you can catch them on swim shads when they are feeding. 

If the bait shop has Asian crabs then get some of both, but I’ve only found green crabs in shops. There’s definitely good tog around 

B7A25467-E86D-4B27-8B6D-986A02EDE115.jpeg

7 hours ago, John P said:

I have mixed feeling about to the good Tog fishing.  I'm happy as hell it's good,but I fear we are now moving on to the next fish to go after.  It won't take long if all the fishing efforts concentrates on this fish good fish stocks it won"t last long. Hope I'm wrong..  BTW I don't fish for Tog..

Tog fishing is already going downhill. It used to be better just a few years ago. The size limit was recently raised and the bag limit lowered due to over fishing.