68 lb bass just caught

Rate this topic

Marty

Nobody would know how big was it, not even me.

Why would I measured it an take a photo? To show other people?

LOL, that is so funny.

I fish for myself, because i love it, not to show neighbors and social media that I cut something.

Now

If I have a family of 6 waiting for food at home, that fish would be on the dinner table.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

Several years ago on a charter out of Cape Cod, I landed

a 35 # bass on a fly rod.  I had a 15#  bass in the cooler.

1 fish limit.

I released the 35 pounder.  The Capt. was pissed!!

He wanted that fish on the dock.

I was not about to keep that fish and throw the smaller, dead fish

overboard.  I reminded him that I was paying him and it was

my only choice.  We didn't talk much after that.

Posted this in another forum earlier. A few years ago we were fishing the Cape May Rips in January and using light tackle because that time of the year there are mostly small fish. Hooked into a 42 pound fat female that had swallowed my bucktail tipped with a strip of herring. Long fight and bleeding bad. No way she was going to make it so we took her home. About an hour later I dressed her out and her stomach was full with baby butterfish about the size of a quarter. Must have been sitting there on the other side of the rip and just sucked them up as they rolled over. Then me and my friend checked the roe sacks and they were just ugly. Big bags of soft white eggs that looked dead. Would have thought this fish was dead for days and not an hour. 

Nature doesn't do well with old animals or people breeding. It's the younger fish that are the healthy stock. A forty two year old woman can have a baby but not many doctors advise them to try. I felt bad about taking that big girl but not after we saw those eggs. I believe they would have just ended up as food for other critters out there.

I only fish the wash and would try my best to give her a clean release her if surf conditions permitted.  I would measure length and girth I could do it without scuffing her up -and do the arithmetic.

"If you want to consider what 'social security' does for and to people, look at the American Indian." -Henry Ford

"If I could live my life over, I'd live it over Giglio's B&T." -Bud E. Brown

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.