gln826

Striped Bass Survey Available

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Good for you, your still hanging in there. Hate to be the bearer of more bad news, but the owner of this site frowns upon links being copied and pasted. Unless approved by a moderator. Ask me how I know....:D

I gave your post a quick look, and the other bad news is; where a little late. Did some coping and pasting from your post, of my own.

From your post - Public comment will be accepted until 5 PM (EST) on Oct. 7, 2019,

Keep on pluggin

Lou T

Posted (edited) · Report post

Don't know how many post like this, I've come across on this site, over the years.

All for conservation!  As long as the burden is not placed entirely all on the recreational harvest, and the cash cows, rep what they sow...:worms:

Tight Lines

Lou T

Edited by Lou T

1 hour ago, Lou T said:

Good for you, your still hanging in there. Hate to be the bearer of more bad news, but the owner of this site frowns upon links being copied and pasted. Unless approved by a moderator. Ask me how I know....:D

I gave your post a quick look, and the other bad news is; where a little late. Did some coping and pasting from your post, of my own.

From your post - Public comment will be accepted until 5 PM (EST) on Oct. 7, 2019,

Keep on pluggin

Lou T

The DEC survey is open until October 29. 

The only hope for stripers is a moratorium now and if stocks improve a realistic plan that steps hard on toes .

Cleaning up the upper Chesapeake would help a lot.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 10/18/2019 at 6:24 PM, gln826 said:

The DEC survey is open until October 29. 

Thanks for pointing that out, but do you really think there is anything I could say in a survey that would make a difference. Over the years I have participated in surveys, even took the time to write letters, that I believed in theory would make a difference; united we stand.

I have been fishing all my life, from around the age of five. If I told the young readers here what fishing was like not too long ago in comparison to today, they probably could not wrap their heads around it, or think I was full of crap. But who cares, so here it goes. There were no seasons, no size limits, no catch limits, and the fishing was phenomenal...

Some may say a fish species bountiful supply runs in cycles. But that is not entirely true. One of my favorite fish to fish for, is the Black fish. Tau Tog in some parts, but here in New Jersey, Mr. Big Lips is referred to as Black Fish, and that's one fish I seen in a constant downward spiral. It was not too long ago, we would head out for a day of Black fishing. We would catch and release for the most part, because the fish where that big. We would take what we needed, fish around 3 - 4 pounds, and leave the rest. Black fish, back then was referred to as trash fish, and had no commercial value.

Then things changed, high end restaurants had huge saltwater tanks built in there entrance, with Black fish swimming in them. You can go to an Asian supermarket and see live Black fish for sale. Come in on a head boat and sell a fish for fifty bucks, your trip was paid for and you went home with fish for the table. All of a sudden the trash fish, which was hard to catch became valuable. Commercial traps where set and the downward spiral began.

I was told by a fellow Black fisherman a few years ago, he called NY Fish and game on locations around Staten Island, NY. Where traps are set illegally. NY Fish and game where called repeatedly over the years and they said there is nothing they can do because they cannot catch them in the act. So the traps remain there and the poaching goes on, on a daily basis. Are you kidding me, or what?

The same thing is happening around Robbins Reef. Fisherman trying to bring in there anchors, are getting tangled up in these illegal fish trap lines and losing their anchors to them. Nobody cares, or at  $15..dollars a pound there not a trash fish any more, are they.

Ramble On

Lou T

Edited by Lou T