Sandeel95

MACKERAL ON A FLY ROD

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

we have lots of Spanish mackerel at Cape Lookout early.   I like a 7 or 8 wt with an intermediate line or floater.  A small trace of 15 or 20 pound wire can help with the teeth.  Clousers, epoxy minnows and crease flies are good choices 

Most of the king mackerel we catch which aint that many is by dredging this time a year over wrecks and artificial reefs.  10 wt is fine for fish up to 30 pounds and sinking lines like 500 grain will get the fly down. I use big 1/2 and 1/2s and baitfish patterns with lots of flash.  These fish are from early October at cape lookout 

DSC_1133.jpg

DSC_1159.jpg

DSC_1183.jpg

Hi

Atlantic Mackerel are great fun on the fly .I use a fast sink 7/8 weight forward . No reason ,because that's the rod I use for sea trout and grilse and keep in the back of my car. I use simple small flies , say size 2- 4 Clousers in blue /white with some flash or simple small bucktail sand eel patterns  . Level 8lb leader or such like . They go like stink , I've had them follow the fly right to my feet on the local jetties. Caught my biggest mack ever on the fly ,a 2lb beast. 

Anyone used droppers?

Delicious, marinade the filets in soy, sesame oil, garlic ,chili and ginger and a spot of honey and grill. Kids always come back for more!

Jim

I caught a bunch of Spanish Macs on a beat up kinda sorta flatwing olive & white w/ a wee bit o flash on the backside of Boynton Inlet Fla. back in Sept . Great fun on a 6wt. Can’t recall exact line , if I had to guess I’d say a intermediate sink tip , ya had to strip like crazy , it was a blast . 

IMG_4391.jpg.3b93344b49002c3dd3f3e3e734760f46.jpg 115cm Broad Bar Mackerel I got a couple of weeks ago in Exmouth, WA.

IMG_4374.jpg

A slightly smaller on that I broke my 10wt on ... :(

Edited by Hirdy

On 10/20/2019 at 6:40 PM, bhorsley said:

we have lots of Spanish mackerel at Cape Lookout early.   I like a 7 or 8 wt with an intermediate line or floater.  A small trace of 15 or 20 pound wire can help with the teeth.  Clousers, epoxy minnows and crease flies are good choices 

Most of the king mackerel we catch which aint that many is by dredging this time a year over wrecks and artificial reefs.  10 wt is fine for fish up to 30 pounds and sinking lines like 500 grain will get the fly down. I use big 1/2 and 1/2s and baitfish patterns with lots of flash.  These fish are from early October at cape lookout 

DSC_1133.jpg

DSC_1159.jpg

DSC_1183.jpg

Now that's what I'm talkin' about.