Mike Fixter

Sage Spey rod question

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

What would be the primary application for a Sage 8 wt. Spey rod?   It's  13' 4"  model Z-Axis 8134-4 & what would this be worth?  It's never been used & has the canvas bag & original hard case.   Thanks,  Mike

Probably around $400 I would guess from a steelheader or salmon fisherman.   There is usually a market for them especially if its in new condition.   A whole subculture of spey guys and I sure it would sell.

A bit light for ocean fishing on Long Island, but fine for LI sound.

A barely used one went for $730 awhile ago. LL Bean doesn't carry that length, but others go for almost a grand.

I bought a 13' 7/8 Fenwick here for less than $200 !!!

Is the factory plastic still on the cork ???

2 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

What would be the primary application for a Sage 8 wt. Spey rod?   It's  13' 4"  model Z-Axis 8134-4 & what would this be worth?  It's never been used & has the canvas bag & original hard case.   Thanks,  Mike

Never been used could be worth a bit more than $400 a lot more.

What is working against it is its age . I rate my Z Axis single hand rod extremely highly. If I could buy another one unused I would in a heartbeat.

Secondhand value is hard to gauge. There are other sites like Dan Blanton’s where you could ask a similar question.

A rod like this would make a very nice medium sized river Salmon Rod.

It would also appeal to west coast Steelheaders.

It is not a rod I would personally consider for salt water.

What makes it also very sellable is that it will still have Sages  warranty.

Priceless.

Before you sell it think hard. Maybe you should be fishing it.

Mike

Thank you everyone for your input.  Frazerp... the cork is unblemished.. beautiful clean quality, but no plastic on it.  I doubt if I will fish it....... Tight lines.. Mike

Mike

Perhaps then it might be best to sell it as you can invest the proceeds into gear you will use and some one out there will get a lovely rod they will cherish.

I have a couple of rods that are unused that in their day were premium priced.

I always meant to fish them but just plain never did. I can’t figure it either.

Some one  some day is going to score a super bargain.

mike

4 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

Thank you everyone for your input.  Frazerp... the cork is unblemished.. beautiful clean quality, but no plastic on it.  I doubt if I will fish it....... Tight lines.. Mike

you'd probably get more for it on a W coast forum vs BST here,a minor classic that rod is

Can't go wrong with a Sage, I had a RPLX 9' 10wt 2 piece I bought used a lot of years ago. The top section broke while casting. I had it in a rack in my truck and I think one of my other rods nicked it. I put it in my garbage can and was going to throw it out. A friend said they are guaranteed for life. I thought because it was used it wouldn't be honored. I called Sage and told them the story and that I was going to throw it out. They told me never throw a Sage rod out. They said they would repair or replace it. Shortly after I sent it in a received a new RPLX in the mail. Gotta love Sage.

Gil

Agree that that rod is generally desirable for steelhead and salmon fishing in medium to wide rivers.  It's not really designed for TH overhead.  Used depending on condition I'd say $375 to $450.   I'd make sure to take really good photos of it and describe any condition issues even the most minor ones.  The other website with the words spey and pages in it might be a better place to start as there are more folks there who would be quite happy to have this rod in their hands.  Good Luck.

The is a dedicated spey web site focused mostly on the northwest.  Hopefully I will not get in trouble mentioning the site name: ********

You might have better luck there with value and perhaps selling it.  It is frequented by folks from both the US and Canada