DoorGunner

Kitchen question.

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

I worked in kitchens for 15 years, left the business due to crappy pay and long hours. I like to cook and taught my wife how to cook. We still share cooking duties. Some of the great chefs have been men. Men should be able to handle the grill at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad was a tough military/wrestler type.  He used to cook for us, along with my mom.  I would give my left arm to be able to eat his cooking again one more time now that he's passed.  I learned how to cook from him and I do it for my kids.  My wife and I take turns.  My wife appreciates that I can cook and she knows if she leaves me, I'll be able to survive.  I grill a lot also, and my son helps to do it.  We enjoy the experience together.  

Edited by Heron25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could actually use some cooking advice and Google is failing me.

I have a ton of fresh asparagus that was supposed to be used at Thanksgiving (it was not) so to use it up I'm making a big pot of fresh asparagus soup.

Here's me question:

I've currently got my spears chilling upright in an inch of water very happily.

The recipe calls for the spears to be cut into one inch lengths - is there ANY way I can prep this now (cut them up) and put them back in the fridge without them getting woody??

(I have three little ones running around, you either prep food during naptime or you don't get fed)

Thanks!

Edited by Niffer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still can't cook to save my life.  I grew up with my mom doing all the cooking then my ex-wife for almost 40 years.  But my gf insisted I learn to cook and make my way around the kitchen.  I did bake her and her kids fudge brownies for the first time in my life.  They gobbled it all up!  I must have beginner's luck.  But we do have plenty of elbow room in the kitchen for me to finally become a cook.  :wee:

 

20190420_104018.jpg

Edited by GeoffT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, Niffer said:

I could actually use some cooking advice and Google is failing me.

I have a ton of fresh asparagus that was supposed to be used at Thanksgiving (it was not) so to use it up I'm making a big pot of fresh asparagus soup.

Here's me question:

I've currently got my spears chilling upright in an inch of water very happily.

The recipe calls for the spears to be cut into one inch lengths - is there ANY way I can prep this now (cut them up) and put them back in the fridge without them getting woody??

(I have three little ones running around, you either prep food during naptime or you don't get fed)

Thanks!

Dunno.... but with twin 4 year old boys and  an 8 and 10 year old as well.... I feel your pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Joe said:

I have a large kitchen. There's rarely enough elbow for my wife & me:box:

 

I thought it was just me......Bjeeessus H Buddddda. "honey please just get out of the kitchen I'm cooking" and I'm good at it. But but but, hush girl.  It's like it's her domain no interlopers allowed. :shock:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 mins ago, GeoffT said:

I still can't cook to save my life.  I grew up with my mom doing all the cooking then my ex-wife for almost 40 years.  But my gf insisted I learn to cook and make my way around the kitchen.  I did bake her and her kids fudge brownies for the first time in my life.  They gobbled it all up!  I must have beginner's luck.  But we do have plenty of elbow room in the kitchen for me to finally become a cook.  :wee:

 

20190420_104018.jpg

That's lot of outlet and switches for a kitchen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 mins ago, Niffer said:

I could actually use some cooking advice and Google is failing me.

I have a ton of fresh asparagus that was supposed to be used at Thanksgiving (it was not) so to use it up I'm making a big pot of fresh asparagus soup.

Here's me question:

I've currently got my spears chilling upright in an inch of water very happily.

The recipe calls for the spears to be cut into one inch lengths - is there ANY way I can prep this now (cut them up) and put them back in the fridge without them getting woody??

(I have three little ones running around, you either prep food during naptime or you don't get fed)

Thanks!

Interesting, we used to put celery in water to restore it never did it with asparagus, why don’t you cut it up and blanch it in boiling water, then put in fridge. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 mins ago, Niffer said:

I could actually use some cooking advice and Google is failing me.

I have a ton of fresh asparagus that was supposed to be used at Thanksgiving (it was not) so to use it up I'm making a big pot of fresh asparagus soup.

Here's me question:

I've currently got my spears chilling upright in an inch of water very happily.

The recipe calls for the spears to be cut into one inch lengths - is there ANY way I can prep this now (cut them up) and put them back in the fridge without them getting woody??

(I have three little ones running around, you either prep food during naptime or you don't get fed)

Thanks!

 

I would steam them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, aneary said:

Interesting, we used to put celery in water to restore it never did it with asparagus, why don’t you cut it up and blanch it in boiling water, then put in fridge. 

 

If you store asparagus upright that way they'll stay fresh for a week or more without getting slimy!

That's a really good suggestion about blanching. I think I'll do that!

Just now, Brother Brian said:

 

I would steam them. 

Yup, I think you're right - easier to just cook them first then add them to the broth.. thank you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.