DoorGunner

Kitchen question.

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

I believe everyone should be able to cook, at least for themselves.

What would you do if you were alone, unable to order "food" from a fast food joint, and were really hungry?

Would you wait until someone showed up that would be willing to cook you a meal, or would you rather do it yourself?

I learned the basics from watching my parents, developing my own style and tastes.

Also watch a lot of cooking shows (and still do) to pick up pointers on how to make things I haven't tried before.

Here's what I have learned:

I like to cook, to be able to make a meal "from scratch". Most have been really good with only a few flops.

I like cooking for others when possible, to wow them with whatever I make.

Women do like a man who can cook, and the better the meal the better they "appreciate" the effort.

To this day I can walk into the kitchen of almost any home, check out the fridge and pantry, and come up with something that I can turn into a meal. My mother has seen me do this so often she will say "I know you can find something to eat" whenever I visit. Some of my favorite dishes are pasta dishes with homemade pasta and homemade gravy, baked fruits, and homemade tiramisu. One of my first dinner date meals was a quick homemade veggie soup. I started with a canned tomato soup and added various fresh veggies to it. The clincher was when you ladled the soup over a bed of bean sprouts. The girl I made it for told me that when her father tried it the next night he loved it and wanted to know how I made it.

So in closing, a guy should know his way around a kitchen, if not for his own survival, then for his families!

My dad was the cook growing up and I'm the cook now. My wife makes the meals most nights for the kids, only because I'm usually working. I wish I had more time to cook. I love it. 

1 hour ago, DoorGunner said:

Watching a few other threads it seems that some on here question if it's masculine or not for a man to be in the kitchen and able to cook. 

not if you wear a dress

36 mins ago, rdbass said:

I cook but, don't bake(deserts). Wife does all the baking. Too many ingredients. 

Cooking is art, Baking is chemistry.

I eat to live, of course my wife is a wonderful cook (she taught Home Economics and worked in the front and the back of her parents coffee shop). My skill set is fish and beef.

Peace

My ex wife could eff up toast.... the new one not much better in the cooking dept but great at baking. I don’t mind cooking... I’m better at it than her and she does the clean up, when I go on extended trips the older kids usually tell me “thank god your home.... we’re so tired of Mac and cheese “

Its not unmasculine to know how to cook, it doesn't make you an idiot if you're not especially talented at it either. (If you can boil water, you can feed yourself)

I can't change the oil in my car, I'm not strong enough to rotate the tires and I don't think it makes me an idiot to rely on a man for that.

That being said, if I knew how to do car stuff, I don't think it would make me any less feminine.