Mr. Bigdeal

Chunkin' Rod & Reel Set-up.....

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So a few years back I sold off my older Fenwick glass rods....now I'm thinkin' about chunkin' again....what's out there rod & spinning reels I should be lookin' at.....thanks.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

I have both ugly sticks and tsunami airwave (not elite).  The airwave is a 50/50 11ft XH for sending out 6oz.  Ugly sticks are my closer in rods, got a 8 and 10ft heavy with boat style handles.  They work, there's probably better, but working on jettys anything gets beat up.  I use SSV6500LL live liner reels.  

When I am chunking or live lining from my boat in the upper hudson river, I use ande 7ft surf rods.  ATS700 I think the model is.  They're made by tsunami.  

I have braid on them........  but I like mono for bait alot better.  If lines cross up, you get a real mess with braid.  I usually have 25lb stren XL on there.  I do have 2 reels with 30lb if it's rocky.

If you are decided on a spinning reel I would look at the penn spinfisher live liner reels. I don’t think you can go wrong here. They are not light but very well built. Rods.... take you pick. I always advise people to go heavy. Rods rated to 10, 12 or even more. I would be skeptical of any rod rated under 6 on the low end. 

You learn nothing from the garbage man video? :dismay: Some chitty rod with only only 2 guides, a penn 704, and a cooler for your bait and beer.

Been using penn battalion 11’ .. throws a chunk and 5-6oz pretty well .. I gots a saltist on mime which has been a pleasure but cheaper reel would work fine .. 

I don't think a graphite rod can compete with glass for bank bait fishing (if plunking is what your speaking of). I know some people out here use the MH GSB's for graphite. But still not as durable.

12 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

So a few years back I sold off my older Fenwick glass rods....now I'm thinkin' about chunkin' again....what's out there rod & spinning reels I should be lookin' at.....thanks.

Whats your budget?

20 hours ago, hobobob said:

You learn nothing from the garbage man video? :dismay: Some chitty rod with only only 2 guides, a penn 704, and a cooler for your bait and beer.

And a wrench to tighten down the drag.......can't forget the wrench.

Definitely make sure you're out there on National teacher appreciation day!

23 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Did you use to fish the bar in BL? I remember seeing a guy up there with two real nice old Fenwick chunking rods back before Sandy

Posted (edited) · Report post

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:34 PM, cbinvb said:

Whats your budget?

Hmmm.....budget is not really an issue...lookin' for something around 10'0 to save my back but can also handle a serious 6-8oz. and a chunk.....guess I could always use one of my Saragosa 6000's.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

11 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Hmmm.....budget is not really an issue...lookin' for something around 10'0 to save my back but can also handle a serious 6-8oz. and a chunk.....guess I could always use one of my Saragosa 6000's.

look at the shimano bait runner  as for rod its hard to find a rod in 10 ft rod  that can relay  throw 6 -8 oz plus a chunk 

i have a lamiglas super surf 11 ft 3 to 8 with a bait runner 8000d that work well