MakoMike

2019 YOY survey

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Not good news;

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources announced the results of the young-of-year striped bass survey, which tracks reproduction of the species in Chesapeake Bay. The 2019 juvenile striped bass index is 3.4, below the 66-year average of 11.6.

Edited by MakoMike

In "glass half full" news, the VIMS (Virginia Institute of Marine Science) survey recorded a mean value of 9.54 fish per seine haul, which is a tick higher than the historic average value of 7.77 fish per seine haul.

So the last big year was 2015 at 13.34 – those 4 and 5 year olds would be about 21-25" now. And I'm seeing lots of those guys around right now!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am lookin at these numbers for the last five years and I can’t see any indication for anything. 

These numbers go up and down year after year. 

550F05EF-E47F-4EC6-9FE3-F43F5483AD59.png

Edited by levari

Maryland destroyed the 2011s. Hopefully the 14/15s fare better. Problem is they’re still a few years from spawning and contributing to the stock and their offspring won’t hit the coast until ~10 years from now n

16 mins ago, bran_dj said:

So the last big year was 2015 at 13.34 – those 4 and 5 year olds would be about 21-25" now. And I'm seeing lots of those guys around right now!

This is why the minimum size needs to be increased so that large year class has several breeding cycles before they are stripped out of the biomass

24 mins ago, Kooky said:

This is why the minimum size needs to be increased so that large year class has several breeding cycles before they are stripped out of the biomass

That's exactly what happened the last time around.

The Chesapeake fishery has had a solid summer. But mainly the schoolie sized fish 20-30”. It’s rare to get them over 40” down there now.

>15 years ago big females were catchable in the Susky flats. Now nobody even tries in a serious way. Similar anecdotal reports with reduced larger females in other cold weather fishing areas in CHesapeake bay (I know a guy that fishes a productive WWD daily). 

The YOY may reflect the reduction in larger females (amongst other factors). It’s bad news. 

12 mins ago, Kooky said:

Absolutely agree. Putting the legal size for “keepers” at 28” right when the females begin to breed at 6 yrs old is a bad move. 

2 mins ago, bran_dj said:

Absolutely agree. Putting the legal size for “keepers” at 28” right when the females begin to breed at 6 yrs old is a bad move. 

Females begin to breed at around 22 inches. The 28 inch size was chosen to blow them to spawn twice before they could be killed.

18 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Females begin to breed at around 22 inches. The 28 inch size was chosen to blow them to spawn twice before they could be killed.

How is that working out?