aneary

Winston Boron III plus Fly Rod

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

They have very distinct tapers. While other companies focus on heat & line speed, the Winston's are better suited for the guys trying to get away from that. Fwiw, the Air salt might be my new favorite.

20191008_122342.jpg

Hi local66,

I never got around to casting or fishing boron fly rods. It very quickly went out of favour in the U.K. Kevlar came and went even quicker.

Does it have noticeable differences  over carbon made blanks.

Are the tapers steeper than carbon blanks. It is interesting that Winston stayed with it.

mike 

I had an older Winston boron rod. From a craftsmanship standpoint - beautiful rod. One of the best made rods that I’ve ever held. 

fishing and casting, it was a very nice rod but it wasn’t exactly what I was looking for. 

17 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Hi local66,

I never got around to casting or fishing boron fly rods. It very quickly went out of favour in the U.K. Kevlar came and went even quicker.

Does it have noticeable differences  over carbon made blanks.

Are the tapers steeper than carbon blanks. It is interesting that Winston stayed with it.

mike 

Not especially. Their tapers are a little more parabolic than most, but quick to recover. I like the fact that Winston doesn't seem to care what sage/scott/orvis are doing. Sometimes it feels like all these manufacturers are trying to build the same rod, and it bugs me.

Local

I hear you. In a competitive market place products and pricing tend to get very much the same.

Fair play to Winston for being different. I hope that strategy works for them.

You have worked in the industry. Would you say that in the USA that sales of fly gear is falling.

Mike 

On 10/19/2019 at 11:48 AM, Mike Oliver said:

Local

I hear you. In a competitive market place products and pricing tend to get very much the same.

Fair play to Winston for being different. I hope that strategy works for them.

You have worked in the industry. Would you say that in the USA that sales of fly gear is falling.

Mike 

Not at all. The shop where I work is about as close to a 50/50 shop as you're going to get, but the fly side consistently makes the day. The light tackle/plug sales have dropped a little, but on that end we have a lot of local competition.